Official GIGABYTE Forum

Windows 7 takes a long time to install on a GA-X58A-UD3R

Windows 7 takes a long time to install on a GA-X58A-UD3R
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:24:05 pm »
Hi guys,

did a few searches, then decided to post this... I just got a brand new X58A-UD3R with 6gb, i7 920 and Asus Radeon 5870. I don't know what's the reason but when I try to install win7 (64 or 32) it takes an eternity...

Even before the Language prompt (which is the first prompt of the installation) it just keeps waiting for something and it waits for a long time and then it promts for language, time and input method and after that, when I click Install Now, it happens all over again. It does that during the whole installation process. Mouse is always working, so it's not freezed. It appears something is missing, might be a bios configuration, dunno.

The weird thing is: it completes the installation beautifully (you know after almost 50 minutes waiting in a brand new system). I was able to upgrade the Bios from F1 to F3 and did a firmware upgrade on the ASUS DVDRW. And then I've tried to install win7 again and the same thing happens. I have no RAID configured, just a simple WD 1TB Caviar Green (64mb buffer). It's a pretty simple configuration.

Do you guys have any clues what might be the problem?

Cheers

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: Windows 7 takes a long time to install on a GA-X58A-UD3R
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:09:57 pm »
Are running SATA in AHCI mode? Have you tried running a Memtest + Western Digital HDD diags. If possible try installing on another DVD drive (if you have one.) Though I don't think its likely its the DVDRW - but is worth a try :)
There's no place like ::1

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:06:43 pm »
Hi guys,

did a few searches, then decided to post this... I just got a brand new X58A-UD3R with 6gb, i7 920 and Asus Radeon 5870. I don't know what's the reason but when I try to install win7 (64 or 32) it takes an eternity...

Even before the Language prompt (which is the first prompt of the installation) it just keeps waiting for something and it waits for a long time and then it promts for language, time and input method and after that, when I click Install Now, it happens all over again. It does that during the whole installation process. Mouse is always working, so it's not freezed. It appears something is missing, might be a bios configuration, dunno.

The weird thing is: it completes the installation beautifully (you know after almost 50 minutes waiting in a brand new system). I was able to upgrade the Bios from F1 to F3 and did a firmware upgrade on the ASUS DVDRW. And then I've tried to install win7 again and the same thing happens. I have no RAID configured, just a simple WD 1TB Caviar Green (64mb buffer). It's a pretty simple configuration.

Cheers

Have you tried installing windows connected to another sata controller such as the gigabyte rather than the intel ICH one?

As above it could be the DVD also or a combination of both, please try to install in the other sata controller to help eliminate the controller issue!

gilgamesh
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:58:09 pm by runn3R »
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:35:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

No SATA in AHCI mode. I don't think it's a HD problem, I even tried to start installing without the HD connected, it takes about 10 minutes just to get to the part where you specify the partition to install windows.

I have tried a USB DVD drive and no good (disconnecting the SATA DVD drive). Memory, I don't think so, I even removed them, tried a few combinations respecting the manual specifications for triple and dual channel positions in the memory slots.

Argh, I just don't know... it might be the video card, even thou everything is 100% new, I just bought it and installed. Unfortunately I don't have another video card to test it. Funny thing is, the installed windows (the one who took me 50min to install) apparently is working fine.

Just one question, does that blue plate with the Gigabyte logo right beside the CPU (excuse my ignorance, I think it's the northbridge or something) supposed to be so hot? BIOS claims that the chipset temperature is around 60 degrees Celsius (even when the computer is fully idle).

Cheers.

Are running SATA in AHCI mode? Have you tried running a Memtest + Western Digital HDD diags. If possible try installing on another DVD drive (if you have one.) Though I don't think its likely its the DVDRW - but is worth a try :)

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:34:23 pm »
That does seem a bit high. Not sure what it should be as I do not have that board.

What were the memtest results?
There's no place like ::1

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 04:46:49 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

No SATA in AHCI mode. I don't think it's a HD problem, I even tried to start installing without the HD connected, it takes about 10 minutes just to get to the part where you specify the partition to install windows.

I have tried a USB DVD drive and no good (disconnecting the SATA DVD drive). Memory, I don't think so, I even removed them, tried a few combinations respecting the manual specifications for triple and dual channel positions in the memory slots.

Argh, I just don't know... it might be the video card, even thou everything is 100% new, I just bought it and installed. Unfortunately I don't have another video card to test it. Funny thing is, the installed windows (the one who took me 50min to install) apparently is working fine.

Just one question, does that blue plate with the Gigabyte logo right beside the CPU (excuse my ignorance, I think it's the northbridge or something) supposed to be so hot? BIOS claims that the chipset temperature is around 60 degrees Celsius (even when the computer is fully idle).

Cheers.

As for the heat.........thats normal evne more so if you are water cooling. I will explain:

wHEN A USER cools with a cpu fan they arent just providing airflow to the cpu they are providing airflow to ALL areas around the cpu, this includes the PWM's and the northbridge (yes the MCH does less work but still up to 75 watts goes through the MCH and 200 watts throughthe PWMS) Though my main board is a diff brand its still an X58 and it gets hot hot hot!

If you water cool the cpu you are no longer providing air flow to cpu area thus the PWMS and the NCH get no air flow! To counter this a fan needs to be utilised in order to cool the mch and pwms down and since they are all interlinked the hotter the PWMS the hotter the cpu and mch get!

On air cooling alone they still get hot!

So no its not an issue withthe board (in this matter) its simply the x58 chipset and how it works

I hope this has given you an insight on this matter

gilgamesh

www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

skiigor

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:54:21 pm »
Hi guys,

Cheers

Confirm same issue on my board GA-X58A-UD3R - 5 min to wait before Language prompt. And near 30-33 min to install Win 7 64bit to desktop.
After long install Windows 7 working good and fast.

BIOS F5
Seagate 750 Gb SATA -> Intel ICH10R (IDE Mode)
Core i7 930
PHILIPS DVD-RW

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:58:55 pm by skiigor »

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 06:25:53 pm »
Disable the 1.44 floppy in BIOS and try again. I bet you this will solve your prob. It solved my exact same prob. BIOS bug

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 06:34:06 pm »
I was having the same issue as well and I disabled the floppy as cyguardian suggested and it fixed the issue.

makes me wonder if gigabyte even tests their damn BIOS's...

:(

jaicigy

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 12:59:52 am »
is the Windows you are trying to install original?

Disable Floppy after LOAD Defaults and only have the (hard/SSD) drive connected on SATA_1 to your pc where you are going to install Windows on, no more drives or just the CD/DVD-ROM

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 11:19:22 pm »
i have the exact same problem and its driving me NUTS!

brand new system with intel x25m SSD.  should not be slow right?
takes forever to load the install screen and load but after the installation, windows works fine.  though it takes awhile to boot up.  the part where the windows 7 splash screen is loading, it kinda of stutters. on my other other computers, the animation looks very smooth and fluid.  ahci is enabled, floppy disk is disabled.  i even reformatted my computer but no help.  i did notice that the SSD was running in PIO mode even after a clean format (this was plugged into port 0 on the mobo)  i then plugged the SSD into port 3 and its running in DMA mode 6 now.  thought that fixed my problem but my computer still takes a long time to boot, where the windows 7 animation is stuttering.  heres a screenshot of my bios

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:29:37 am »
I had the same issue with the X58A-UD5 (rev1) Bios F4. Windows 7 65 bit took a very long time to install compared to my previous install on 775 evga board. Im running Raptors on Rad 0, 6gb ram, i7930. My last systems specs were much lower but  it booted into window much quicker than my new system.
I also have an isue with Qflash it wont recognise and USB even tho i have tried a few different usb fat32, 16, ntfs, enabled legacy etc etc
Any ideas. Is this a BIOS problem ?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 06:37:49 am »
As far as the USB device goes there are several things to check eg the stick is under 2Gb, the file is on the boot sector, it is FAT formatted and it is inserted prior to booting up. Have you disabled the floppy drive in the BIOS to get faster bootup times?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:40:10 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 07:01:49 am »
ok. Finally fixed the USB issue, for me it was the physical USB. I had 5 lying around all over 2gb, formatted them Fat32. My OCZ Flash Stick worked and the others didnt. Have Legacy Enabled in BIOS. Disable FLOPPY. In regards to the speed issue i have had the floppy disabled the entire time.
Thanks for the quick responce.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 07:05:04 am »
Further. I ran a few benchmark in Windows 7 eg Sandra and the speed of the Hard drives is spot on, the RAM is spot on and CPU is spot on. Im about to do a VANTAGE run and see how it goes.