Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68AP-D3: Sporadic USB connectivity.

Z68AP-D3: Sporadic USB connectivity.
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:01:42 am »
After dealing with this for quite some time, I've finally thrown in the towl and need help.

Shortly after building my computer, I noticed my PS2 keyboard not working. No power, no lights, nothing. We (boyfriend and I) assumed it was a cheap piece of plastic and opted for a USB keyboard. Things worked better after that. I had some issues a few months later where the keyboard would not respond, but was getting power (as evidenced by the num lock light remaining on). The USB disconnect/reconnect sound would happen, and eventually it would come back. I changed the port it was plugged in to, and things were ok again.

A year passes, and now it's happening again, but on ALL ports. The keyboard will work fine for a long time, then suddenly quit, but again maintain power. After coming back, it drops pretty frequently. Also, I've started having mouse issues, where the same thing happens. I've tried 2 different USB keyboards, and it happens on all ports I try.

I've also gone back to a PS2 keyboard (taken from a computer that it was working on just 5 minutes before), and no power, nothing.

Only on the 2nd USB keyboard did I start getting the "A USB device has stopped working" error message, and upon clicking on the bubble, it showed it recognized my mouse, but not the keyboard. Unplugging and replugging it back in did nothing, and sometimes it didn't recognize it to even give it power.

Specifications of my system:

Board: Z68AP-D3
BIOS version: "Award Software International, Inc. FB 10/12/2011
SMBIOS version: 2.4
CPU: Intel  i3-2100
Memory: 8GB (Shows >5GB available)
HDD: 1.5 TB with ~ 1TB free
PSU: ...... I have seriously forgotten what we put in here. 430W? 450W? I don't use anything that pulls a ton of power, so I didn't invest in a huge one.
Video card: Radeon 6770

The problem is intermittent, with downtimes ranging from 5 seconds to over 3 minutes. I've tried every port on the back, as well as the two ports on the front. 95% of the time it's the keyboard that goes down and is completely unresponsive, but still maintains power. 4% of the time it's the keyboard and the mouse together. 1% it's just the mouse alone.

There are no other USB components connected other than the keyboard and the mouse. My speakers and headphones are not USB.

I really really would not want to have to get another board this close to Christmas, but the boyfriend and I are at a complete loss as to what would cause a faulty PS2 as well as frequent intermittent USB problems on all ports.

Help?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Z68AP-D3: Sporadic USB connectivity.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:26:44 am »
Have you thought of updating the bios to FD? It might help or it might not. By what you are saying about the bios that it has FB.

That would be a Rev 2.0 board. Look at the board the Rev will be in the bottom left corner on the board.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:08:48 pm »
I have tried. The auto-installer produces an error saying that it is incompatible with the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Downloaded from the Gigabyte US site here: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4015&dl=1#bios

I am mildly amused that that, to be honest.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:58:09 pm »
Do it through the bios. Put it on a USB thumb drive. Go in to the bios. It should give a option in there to be able to update the bios.

The 1st thing you should do is clear the cmos. Then go back in save it it to the default settings.

Then go in and do the update. Once it is done and it says that you can shut it down do that.

Then pull the power plug out and clear the cmos again and pull out the battery for about tens mins.

Put the battery back in and unclear the cmos put the plug back in and now go back in and set it to the default settings save and exit.

Then go back in and make you have all the setting you want in the bios plus double check the date & time too.

This is on the forum too: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.