Official GIGABYTE Forum

Random BSOD on brand new Z87X-UD3H

Random BSOD on brand new Z87X-UD3H
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:19:51 am »
I just put together a new build and have been pulling my hair out trying to solve these random BSODs I'm getting.  Nearly every time I blue screen, it's a different file or error code that is mentioned.  At first I thought it was a corrupt Windows installation, so I reinstalled again.  Nope, I was still getting them.  I saw some blue screens mentioning the Intel RST drivers, and of course those can't be uninstalled, so I reinstalled Windows yet again.  Nope, STILL getting them.  I thought perhaps it was my memory then -- even though they all worked perfectly fine in my previous Asus build.  I ran Memtest for 8 hours overnight, and of course not a single error to be found the next morning.

So I Google my motherboard and BSOD, and there are people with similar builds and similar boards having the same problems.  So now it's my turn to post my issues.  It should be noted that I planned on buying my brother this same board for Christmas, but there is no chance of that now.  I would just exchange this board for the equally priced/equally capable Asus if it wasn't such a pain to tear everything apart and put it back together again.  But if I don't see a fix from you (Gigabyte) before the 30 day return window closes, be on the lookout for my board coming back to you from the store I bought it from.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
RAM: 8GB G.Skill F3-12800CL6-2GBXH (4x2GB)
CPU: Intel i7 4770K

Everything at stock clocks.  I'll try updating the BIOS to F8h now, and report back if I haven't blue screened in awhile.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:21:45 am by OUT FOX EM »

Re: Random BSOD on brand new Z87X-UD3H
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:52:01 am »
So, it's been nearly 48 hours since I updated to BIOS F8h.  I will not be shutting down or rebooting my PC until I blue screen.  Hopefully that means my PC will be running for a very long time -- just as it should.

I will continue to update as time passes.

EDIT:  Well that didn't take long.  As soon as I thought it was safe to begin installing my games again, it blue screened.  Unbelievable.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:51:58 am by OUT FOX EM »

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 12:12:22 am »
The best thing you can do is to return your board and avoid gigabyte. They just sell crap nowadays.
My UD4H is BSODing like hell with four ram sticks put in (4x8GB). The answer from the support was that
i should replace my brand new 530W BeQuiet PurePower with something "stronger" and try just to use 16GB. Unbelivable!
It's just a 4770K@stock with a single GTX 670 and this crappy board gives me BSODs even on browsing the internet with
a power consumption less than 80W idle but they say its my power supply ::).

Just a warning for all others: DONT BUY GIGABYTE IF YOU PLAN TO USE FOUR RAM STICKS!
It's just a pain and you will be disappointed!

This problem is known for MONTHS and NOTHING happend!

christianh

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:19:52 am »
Just send it back for a replacement. I haven't had any BSODS since i bought mine half a year ago.

tbessie

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:29:36 pm »
I got BSODs on my new Z87X-UD4H build (with 32gb), but only in a few odd cases having to do with USB drivers, I think... it hasn't done it since, and I've been using the computer on and off for several weeks.  I haven't used it full-time with all the software I plan to put on it yet, though, so I'll report back if I see that happen.

- Tim

erikyo

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 04:52:34 pm »
I have the same problem, with 4 sticks of ram I have frequent crashes, with only 2 the system is stable. I also tried other brands of ram ram but nothing changes, ud3h won't be stable!

happens to me with both the bios F8 and F9, and I can not downgrade to F7 bios that was more stable because the update program stops me...

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:17:50 pm »
The best thing you can do is to return your board and avoid gigabyte. They just sell crap nowadays.
My UD4H is BSODing like hell with four ram sticks put in (4x8GB). The answer from the support was that
i should replace my brand new 530W BeQuiet PurePower with something "stronger" and try just to use 16GB. Unbelivable!
It's just a 4770K@stock with a single GTX 670 and this crappy board gives me BSODs even on browsing the internet with
a power consumption less than 80W idle but they say its my power supply ::).

Just a warning for all others: DONT BUY GIGABYTE IF YOU PLAN TO USE FOUR RAM STICKS!
It's just a pain and you will be disappointed!

This problem is known for MONTHS and NOTHING happend!

Yeah, it looks like this is what I'm going to have to do.  I get blue screens even when my computer is idle overnight.  I go to sleep and wake up and my PC blue screened while doing absolutely nothing.

I used to recommend Gigabyte because I never had issues with their boards.  But the fact that everybody has these problems and they don't even respond is just disgusting really.  I have to get rid of this board and go with a brand I can trust.  The sad part is, I can't even give this board away because I know whoever I give it to will have nothing but problems!  What a joke.

psycho

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:59:34 pm »
I can share my experience I had with the Z87 motherboards from Gigabyte so far. Seems the implementation, or at least the BIOS part is not so good.

I have two of them [GA-Z87X-UD3H & GA-Z87P-D3] running with 4 DIMMs of RAM, i7 4770 and both systems had stability issues.

The systems ONLY had issues when I was using 4 DIMMS of RAM and the only way to not have that was to ...enable onboard intel graphics. Sounds weird right, but it did the trick.

The RAM is not to blame because I had both RAMs on my previous board [GA-P55A-UD3] for 3 years without any hickups.

On one system it was fixed using a beta version of BIOS [F8j] and on another one only with that trick to enable onboard intel graphics. It sucks that I have to concede a few resources to that, even though I am not using it.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 10:53:54 pm »
I can share my experience I had with the Z87 motherboards from Gigabyte so far. Seems the implementation, or at least the BIOS part is not so good.

I have two of them [GA-Z87X-UD3H & GA-Z87P-D3] running with 4 DIMMs of RAM, i7 4770 and both systems had stability issues.

The systems ONLY had issues when I was using 4 DIMMS of RAM and the only way to not have that was to ...enable onboard intel graphics. Sounds weird right, but it did the trick.

The RAM is not to blame because I had both RAMs on my previous board [GA-P55A-UD3] for 3 years without any hickups.

On one system it was fixed using a beta version of BIOS [F8j] and on another one only with that trick to enable onboard intel graphics. It sucks that I have to concede a few resources to that, even though I am not using it.

they have serious problems with pcie interface. first bios update tried to fix it, but with little luck. its probably not gigabyte's fault and they dont want to take the hit. but hey, i dont care, i will avoid gigabyte in the future, their support sucks. i think i will go with msi. gigabyte is all about hype, marketing and sales now, but under the shiny hood its worse than competitors.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:54:47 pm by kancaras »

psycho

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 07:25:18 am »
The PCI interface is absolutely fine. This trick worked on two different boards, both from Gigabyte, different ram, different GPU, different PSU, you get the drill. :)

erikyo

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 02:29:53 pm »
So, it's been nearly 48 hours since I updated to BIOS F8h.  I will not be shutting down or rebooting my PC until I blue screen.  Hopefully that means my PC will be running for a very long time -- just as it should.

I will continue to update as time passes.

EDIT:  Well that didn't take long.  As soon as I thought it was safe to begin installing my games again, it blue screened.  Unbelievable.

Same problem here but in this months gigabyte does nothing to solve the problem?