Official GIGABYTE Forum

Enabling AHCI Mode After Installing Windows

Enabling AHCI Mode After Installing Windows
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:44:23 am »
I have a GA-EX58-UDP, where I installed both Windows XP and Windows 7.  Since neither install failed at the time, I never thought to press F6 to install the SATA RAID drivers.  (My main need would be for AHCI and its hot plugging capability.)

So I noticed Gigabyte's site has two sets of SATA RAID drivers - one to create a boot disk and press F6 during the Windows preinstall, and one to install in a Windows environment afterwards.  Can I install the second set at this point and enable AHCI in the BIOS?  (I tried enabling AHCI without installing the drivers and just get a BSOD when I try to boot.)

If not, can anyone tell me what this second set of drivers is for if they only work when used during the preinstall of Windows?

Thanks.

Re: Enabling AHCI Mode After Installing Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:55:59 pm »
"So if you are setting up a new system with AHCI-capable controllers, DO NOT enable it until you have Windows installed and then your motherboard chipset drivers for AHCI installed. Trying to jump the gun and be too advanced for the situation caused me a two-hour delay in setting up this machine, due to the inexplicable hang. Keep it simple, add the fancy stuff later, AFTER the drivers are installed."

I say install windows, then drivers and then turn on AHCI.

But I'm cautious when it comes to data.