Official GIGABYTE Forum

Slow raid / +Floppy=BSOD / Greyed out S Bridge SB710 in AMD Overdrive

Hi I came here because I cannot find help elsewhere..

The MB is GA-MA785GT-UD3H / CPU AMD Phenom 955 X4 ../ ram is certified G Skill / Graphix Radeon 5750-XFX / sata  HDs 2 Seagate OEM 7200 .12 st3500418AS installed RAID 0 using MB setup in BIOS and with supplied Gigabyte S/W driver installed by Vista.

From the very start I got BSODs and by trial and error finally narrowed the problem to either one USB  socket - -USB  mouse connected- , or, later, the 1.4 floppy drive.

Ok I first changed the mouse to another USB  socket on the back of the machine, and it cured the problem for a while. But the thing BSOD a day or so later again, that's when after checking the memory sticks and the rest of it I discovered that removing the floppy drive cured the problem.

Now thinking I had a bad drive I got a new one, and low and behold after that was installed with no problems for a week or so when temps here fell by 30 deg F - then the  thing BSODs again, so I disconnect the floppy drive reboot and get no more BSODs. But why??????

Noticing the slowness of this machine compared to an older AMD powered WS here, I began to examine the RAID setup and compare my performance with similar setups I found benchmarks of on the net here. It was a bit of surprise to find my lowest stats with these drives to be barely half of what other folks are getting.

So I tweaked a bit and made some adjustments. Ok I get burst around 200 Mb and lowest performance is around 90 Mg.

Having downloaded the AMD Overdrive SW and noticing it provides a very good interactive graphic tool of the MB and its main components, I got to trying various tests with it. Soon I found that one of the chips displayed is grayed out and dead.

It is called an SB710.

BTW AMD O/d shows me the CPU ( it says Phenom 955 ), and the main chip ( it says AMD 880 ) details by clicking on the graphic

If I could post a picture of the program on my screen I would but I can't find the way to do that here. As soon as I do i will post the picture of the thing with the grayed out SB 710.

Ok the computer did save some kind of record of these events but I cannot locate them, and such '*dumps* as  I found refuse me the luxury of actually reading them with the messages " You do not have permission to...." blah blah blah.. Also this machine runs through these BSODs so fast I have barely enough time to read even one word in them! but I do recall seeing the symbols CRC and HMID ... hence my first impulse to mess with the USB ports and later the floppy drive.

Even though this machine is running pretty well in other ways,  I am not at all happy with what has happened and certainly not happy with no floppy drive! I suspect I may have a dud MB or worse a modified version that doesn't have the parts in it as advertised. Perhaps the 880 instead of the 785 is some of that?

If any here have any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks in anticipation