Official GIGABYTE Forum

L2 switch on a GA-Z77X-UP7

L2 switch on a GA-Z77X-UP7
« on: January 04, 2014, 08:39:36 pm »
I assume that the switch diagrams on page 24 of the manual show the actual movable part of the switch in black. I have just looked at over clocking my i73770K and CPU Z shows the CPU speed as 1601.35 MHz and the multiplier as x16.0 (16-39) I found one other person who had this and said the his L2 switch was switched to Low speed (Did not say his motherboard). My L2 switch is to the right as you look down on the board (It can go left or right) which, if the movable part of the switch is black this is the normal position. Bios revision is F4
Turbo is set to enabled with the four cores at 39, 39, 37, 37 respectively.
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: L2 switch on a GA-Z77X-UP7
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:03:37 pm »
Have you tested (eg with CPUZ and intelburn or superpi) to see if the multiplier ramps up when the cpu is under stress?

If it ramps then the CPU is reacting to C state function as expected (unless disabled through bios)

If it stays fixed then the switch is probably in the x16 position.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:34:30 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I have not used those programs but I did use Prime95. The coretemp program showed the CPU at 100%. I ran it for 5 minutes and there was a 2 deg change in temp and no change in CPUZ. I believe that that switch is correct but tomorrow I will change it. If this does fix it there are two other switches for the motherboard's bios that may also be wrong. 1 is for Main or Backup bios and 1 is for single or dual bios. I may need to look at them. I will post the results tomorrow.
Thank you once again

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:00:45 am »
Could not wait, just moved the switch to what I think is Low speed (To the left) and the CPUZ shows 3703.11 MHz Multiplier 37 (16 - 39). I think the other two switches are wrong. I will contact gigabyte tomorrow for clarification of the switch positions
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:41:48 am by grimreaper »

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 12:47:33 pm »
Please see this web page, cannot upload the image to here

http://www.componentmanufacturing.co.uk/gigabyte.html

Any help would be appreciated
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:48:15 pm by grimreaper »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:47:41 pm »
Hi there,
as far as I can tell from looking through the User's Manual and from my experience of other Gigabyte motherboards I would say the following is the way to set up the switches on your motherboard.

The switch for Main or Backup BIOS should usually be set to Main BIOS.
The switch should be in the left hand position for the Main BIOS.
The option to switch to the Backup BIOS (the switched pushed to the right) should really only be used if you wish to get the board started again, if something goes wrong with the Main BIOS when tweaking the system.
This switch should only be moved with the PC powered down.
You can have different BIOS settings or BIOS versions, held in each BIOS chip so you can compare and test different settings to get the best performance.

The switch for Dual BIOS or Single BIOS should usually be set to the Dual BIOS Position. This allows the Backup BIOS to take over if the Main BIOS fails due to tweaking or corruption. Switching this to Single BIOS speeds up the process of restarting the PC when attempting over clocks and tweaking the system.

The LN2 switch should be set to Normal.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:00:09 pm »
Thank you so much.
You have confirmed my suspicions. I assumed that the black ‘box’ in the diagrams was the slider. It is the white square. My LN2 switch is to the left i.e. Normal.
I will power down my system later and change the Bios switches. Both are ‘wrong’

Thank you once again
Best regards
Ted