Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can't enter bios

Can't enter bios
« on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:40 pm »
Bought a gigabyte Z77X D3H motherboard, no matter what usb port i use i can't enter bios using del

Reset bios by taking battery out after i took out the power cord of my psu

Have tried 4 keayboards all usb 2x wireless 2xwith cable an one time i used an usb to ps 2 adapter, nothing worked, i can't enter bios

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Can't enter bios
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:39:59 pm »
Try and plug the power plug when it is booting or watch the little lights on the keyboard. When they blink start hitting the del key.

Once you do get into the bios set a password on the bios. So it will stop there you put in the password hit enter then hit del. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:48:04 pm »
Don't know what you mean,try to plug the power plug when it's booting? Connect the keyboard when pc is booting? Take power cord of when it's booting

Only light on my keyboard is if i enable caps lock,scroll lock or num lock (i just can't get any light on my keyboard logitech k120, steelseries shift the logo is on all the time) no light flashes doing boot.

Pc boots up and a few sec later thers a  gigabyte logo with 4 options where del is enter bio/Q flash and end is Qflash

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:23:42 am »
Your # lock & cap lock lights. When they blink start hitting the del key.

Just as the logo screen comes up unplug the power or turn PSU switch to off.

Some times that will cause a error and you can get into the bios.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:42:37 am »
My keyboard never blinks

I have turned of power many times at the gigabyte  logo with 4 options to choose from, because wait longer when pressing del dosn't get my to bios waiting, will only give me a black screen

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 04:48:54 am »
Most keyboards will blink just before the logo screen comes up. I have never had a keyboard that didn't blink no matter who made the MB. Do have # lock on?

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:03:02 am »
Usually the keyboard lights blink when it is recognised by bios.

Have you just built this into a system?

Is the CPU power connector in place?

What else is on the USB ports......remove them all and try again.(including mouse)

If relevant I would remove the board from the case place on a cardboard box and test.
you could have a short on the board that it is stopping it.

The usb keyboard should be on a usb 2.0 port not on any of the usb 3.0...........

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 10:55:51 am »
no flashing lights, how can i have this build in my system when i can't get in the bios of my new mb? (no harddrive connected)

nothing else in usb ports, have read somewhere (can't find the link), that theres an option in bios called enable all usb keyboards and then all types of keyboards  should work and to get there you need a ps2 keyboard(tried usb to ps2 adapter).

Does everybody own a ps 2 keyboard? What's next? you have to own a floppy drive to install a driver?

No harddrive in my mb to avoid anything form preventing me entering bios, no lights on my k120 wired keyboard, can't seem to get light when i enable scroll lock, caps lock or num lock, my steelseries shift aways have the steelseries logo on , and using my andriod phone i can se theres power on alle usb ports i use.

First i used a new gigabyte socket 775 mb (only have had desktop pc's since 2012) i had to buy a wired keyboard to get acess to bios to enable my wireless keyboard (logitech k120), it just don't let me enter bios on the gigabyte Z77 mb i have now

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 05:22:06 pm »
Hey we are just trying to help based on the limited information provided..........

Looking at the manual the only two USB ports supporting kb/m are directly above the ps2 port on the rear.

Yes there are settings within the bios to set legacy options for the USB ports however unless you are unlucky and the board has an older
bios version(for example) the bios defaults should support kb/m.

I have a system with exact same board and didnt have to use a PS2 keyboard to setup.

Unfortunately to be 100% sure the board is not at fault I would try with a PS2 keyboard.

You know for sure that your ps2 adaptor and your wired keyboard works on another setup?

Oh and lastly you havent got a cmos jumper on the wrong setting by any chance?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:25:20 pm by cjapeterborough »

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 06:47:45 pm »
I now have new information.

My ps2 adapter i have is  from a mouse (i have 2 adapters for a ps2 to usb or usb to ps 2, i put the usb cable in my adapter and then in the ps2 port on my i/o panel), it must be an adapter for a keyboard and only a ps2 with 2 colors on my i/o is the right one, a one colored ps 2 input dosn't work, mine is in with 2 colors, so fare so good.

From a help full guy on a danish website, i will try to transalte it so you will understand it

it is a well known problem on gigabyteboards (Z77), you can put a USB extension port on your mobo. see link
......................... (his link didn't work and i therefor i  don't know what he used)
Had trouble  with my UD7 for 3 hours before we found out that's how you would fix the prob .....
USB 3 port does not work until you've install usb 3 driver and usb 2 is  not  detecting hardware 100% before it is set in the bios (after initial boot)  big mistake  gigabyte have made

Those things may well be the reason why i can't go in to my bios.

I can return my gigabyte board for free and by somthing else or just buy a usb thing for my mb and hope it fixes my problem (both may cost almost  the same)

I am just thinking what other strange problems i may have with the gigabyte mb, that i would have problems with and only after many forums,hours would find a solution for.

dmdilks

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:08:32 pm »
Can you find a old Ps2 keyboard and give that a try. On all my Gigabyte MB that support UEFI do the same thing you are having a problem with.

The UEFI boards do boot really fast. I use nothing but Ps2 keyboards. Even if you could install all the USB 2 & 3 drivers they will not work in Dos.

AndyM

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 07:35:57 pm »
I don't know whether you need to enter BIOS to change the boot order before loading the operating system.  Perhaps others could advise you.  If the BIOS default allows you to load the operating system and you are using Windows 8, you could finish your build, load Windows 8 and enter UEFI BIOS from Windows 8 as explained in the Gigabyte FAQs.  Then make any changes you require.  I don't know whether other operating systems have this facility.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 09:48:08 pm »
I don't know whether you need to enter BIOS to change the boot order before loading the operating system.  Perhaps others could advise you.  If the BIOS default allows you to load the operating system and you are using Windows 8, you could finish your build, load Windows 8 and enter UEFI BIOS from Windows 8 as explained in the Gigabyte FAQs.  Then make any changes you require.  I don't know whether other operating systems have this facility.

I need to go into the bios in order to set boot to raid, how else can i make the mb/pc  boot up in raid?

Bios won't load os because it's not at all, as a default think i run my os in raid, therfore it only tries to read from one ssd or harddrive.

Not using windows 8

I can't enter bios because bios won't let me use a usb keyboard as a default keyboard, therefore i can't enter bios to set it to use raid so it will read from 2 ssd's.

What a .......... decition to make it only possible to enter bios using a ps 2 keyboard

Have sent it back, not being able to enter bios using a normal usb keyboard what a lot of crap(would fire the person who decided that), to enter something as essiential as bios, should be possible regardless what keyboard i use.

Congratulations on your new Gigabyte Z77X D3H motherboard, just to let you know in order to enter bios you have to buy a keyboard  ps2 to usb adapter or a ps 2 keyboard, onless you already have one and therfore easily can enter bios using the key marked delete

Ps i have a gigabyte gtx 770 i so fare havn't had problems with
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:05:35 pm by gasolin »

Scracy

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 10:17:49 am »
I had similar issue with my GA-Z87X-UD4H in that i couldn't enter bios either,but disconnecting all the sata hard drives solved that problem. Weird issue maybe mobo sees sata as being ide? Or maybe a bug in the bios F8d? Initial build also had similar issue bios F5 had to use ps2 adaptor on keyboard to enter bios for first time.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H
i7-4770K @4.8Ghz 1.42V Stable 24/7
16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @2666Mhz
Gigabyte GTX-690 SLI
Koolance EX2-1055 (Exos-2.5)
Corsair AX860i PSU
Samsung EVO SSD 250GB x4 Raid 0 @1580MB/S Read 1210MB/S Write
Lian Li PC-B25F Chassis
WD Caviar Black 2TB
Samsung S27B970D

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 10:38:58 am »
Tried without my harddrive

Imagine buying this mb and you can't wait until your home an installing the mb, trying to oc, setting up harddives fans...... then finally home and can't enter bios, found out after a few hours, you need to buy a ps2 keyboard and all stores are closed.

That's like going to have sex with a woman that only want's to do it with a condom and realising you have  no condom and no place that's open where you can buy it .................. (get my point?)