Official GIGABYTE Forum

Hey guys, can you advise what i should aim for? EX58-UD5 & i7920

Hey guys, can you advise what i should aim for? EX58-UD5 & i7920
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:47:15 am »
Hiya,

Just got my first Gigabyte board and wondered if you guys could suggest a good overclock for me to aim for? 3.0ghz, 3.4ghz?

I want a nice little performance increase BUT im not looking to push it to the limit as my pc is on for HOURS! Most posts on forums seem to be aiming for that not the middle ground.

Thanks guys

Specs:

Antec CP850w psu with P183 case
Intel i7 920 Do stepping with noctua nh-u12p heatsink and fan
6GB tri channel corsair Dominator ram (1866mhz)
EX58-UD5 motherboard with F10 bios

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
Re: Hey guys, can you advise what i should aim for? EX58-UD5 & i7920
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:38:34 pm »
Hiya,

Just got my first Gigabyte board and wondered if you guys could suggest a good overclock for me to aim for? 3.0ghz, 3.4ghz?

I want a nice little performance increase BUT im not looking to push it to the limit as my pc is on for HOURS! Most posts on forums seem to be aiming for that not the middle ground.

Thanks guys

Specs:

Antec CP850w psu with P183 case
Intel i7 920 Do stepping with noctua nh-u12p heatsink and fan
6GB tri channel corsair Dominator ram (1866mhz)
EX58-UD5 motherboard with F10 bios

for a beginner i would suggest 3.5 with a air cooler 3.8 on air is not unheard of
even on rare occasions 4 gigs

for advanced ocers water will get you around 4.2, super advanced ocers will get 4.4 and ABOVE on water

such as mine below (sorry forthe plug there)

in all honesty mate, its not so much as if your pc is on for hours, its what you do with it DO you game, run super pi, prime95 ? If you do then i urge caution!

I have previously reviewed that noctua cooler, whilst it is good there are better out there and you would need to get rid of the extra heat!

All in all if this ios

Most people would urge you to oc, however in my last thought on this matter (and you have just got this board right?) i would urge you to let your hardware settle down first. Get used to the way that this board BIOS works, then and ONLY then would you overclock, but take baby steps all the way!

Dont rush things and expect too much. Best advice I can give you!

gilgamesh
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:38:40 pm by gilgamesh »
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news