Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H87-D3H: doesn't boot, short repeating beeps

GA-H87-D3H: doesn't boot, short repeating beeps
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:02 pm »
Hi there, this is my first post here!

Back in August I've built my own desktop PC, which always worked without problems. Last night it was still functioning, but this morning it turns out that it won't boot. It tries to boot, but the screen stays black and the speaker starts beeping hard: I managed to count 25 short beeps, without any pause. After the long sequence of beeps, it powers off, then on and it happens to repeat the beep pattern that I've just described. So it loops in this situation, without actually booting. I've looked around for this specific beep code, but I didn't find anything useful.

These are the specs of my PC:
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H
CPU: Intel Core I5-4670
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 2x4 GB
VGA: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7790 2 GB
SSD (containing the OS): Samsung 840 Ultraslim Pro
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue
PSU: Enermax Triathlor 550W

I've tried to remove the VGA, but the problem is not gone.
Has someone got any clue on what's happening?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-H87-D3H: doesn't boot, short repeating beeps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:15:46 am »
Have you tried the memory by switching them around or a different set.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:42:15 am »
Have you tried the memory by switching them around or a different set.
Yes, I've actually switched the sticks and tried them singularly on three different slots (the fourth is unreachable, with the CPU fan mounted). Unfortunately I don't possess another set of DDR3 RAM sticks, but how much is probable that the two sticks died at the same time?

Anyway, in order to figure out the problem, I desperately tried to remove every peripheral connected to the motherboard, one by one, but the problem is not gone. The only ones that I didn't removed yet are the CPU and the PSU... how can I understand whether they're failing or not? The really short troubleshooting section of the motherboard manual says that if the CPU cooler works (and it does), then it's not failing. Is that really a sufficient condition?

So, since the disconnection of every peripheral doesn't solve the problem, do I have to assume that the CPU, the PSU or the motherboard itself are failing? I really don't know what to think, the PC is very much young and it was working smoothly, then suddenly this problem appeared. Do I have any hope clearing the CMOS values?

If it can be anyhow helpful, I even made a video: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2isfgnt%3E&s=5#.UtUhsNLuJA0
The worst thing is that I really can't find a description of the meaning of this damn beep code, not on the manual nor on the Internet.

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 02:46:55 pm »
I would clear the cmos and take out the battery. Let it sit for about 15 mins. At this point what do have to lose.

Here are the Beep Codes.

AWARD BIOS
1short beep :System normal
2 short beep :CMOS Error
1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error
1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error
1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error
1 long beep and 9 short beep : Memory Error
Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed
Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed

AMI BIOS
1 short beep :Memory Error
2 short beep:Memory parity check error.
3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error
4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction .
5 short beep :CPU error
6 short beep:Keyboard error
7 short beep :CPU interruption error
8 short beep:Graphic card error
9 short beep :Memory error
10 short beep :CMOS error
11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 05:48:35 pm »
I have an AMI bios, but the point is that, as you can see in the video I posted, it beeps more than 11 times. I have now tried to unmount everything except the CPU, the PSU and the RAM, but the problem is still there. Not only this, now at the first time I try to boot it doesn't beep but it stays on a few seconds, then it goes down and when it goes up it starts beeping again. After the beeping, it goes down again and then it loops as before.

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 06:57:18 pm »
Try unplugging the power to the CPU plug port and try it. It sounds like it isn't getting power to something.

Did you try the on-board video. I did some testing on a board for some body. If the CPU wasn't install.

It would start up and couple of seconds shut off. It would stay in that loop. If I took out the memory it would start up and than shut down.

Then it would start and just sit there and run for ever. Basically do the same thing with the video card out too.

It could be the the power to the CPU. That power could be dead on the PSU.

hal8000

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:45:33 am »
The "boot loop" sounds very similar to my problem.
Power down unplug, and press the front power button about 50 times to clean switch contacts.
Make sure the switch feels "positive" and that it is returning to normal ok. You can even try
compressed air to clean dust.

Power back on, PC should not start until you press front power button.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 03:29:31 am »
I'm having this exact same issue. I would really like to hear what the problem is.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 04:22:18 am »
I have the same beep problem, different board I am gonna try for a few days if no luck just gonna RMA and maybe go with a different brand seems like a common problem with gigabyte all I did was replace my CPU cooler. You might have to RMA you should still be under warranty from what I found out it can only come down to 2 parts I think the CPU or motherboard I have tested everything else on my amd machine and it has no problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6HqrGEes4   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:29:16 am by ENO1986 »

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 10:48:11 am »
Sorry for the double post, but I figured it out for me I had two faulty ram slots the two closest to the CPU worked, but when I use either of the other two slots I get that beep try using one slot of ram and if it does not work try the other slots it's worth a shot.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 03:51:25 pm »
I just wanted to let you know i solved the problem in the same way. My motherboard manual told me to use slot 2 and 4 if only two rims present, but it beeped. I removed 1 rim, it worked. I removed the other rim, it worked. I put both rims in slots 1 and 3 instead, beeped. I put rims in 3 and 4, beeped. I put rims in 1 and 2, worked!

I figured the manual was wrong and i needed to use 1 and 2 instead of 2 and 4, but it was the opposite to what i had been told. I suppose I've got the same issue, that slots 3 and 4 are broken. I'm guessing I'm not using dual channel now.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 05:33:34 pm »
If it's still under warranty RMA that's what I did now everything works like it should I have 4 2GB ram sticks so I need all my ram slots to work.