Official GIGABYTE Forum

Recovery GA-7VT600 motherboard after failed bios upgrade

Recovery GA-7VT600 motherboard after failed bios upgrade
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:01:04 pm »
Hi !

I made the common (as I saw on the Internet) mistake to upgrade the Bios of my GA-7VT600 mainboard from version F9 to version F15 using  @Bios utility. It crashed halfway and upon reboot the motherboard displays:

Award BootBlock Bios v1.0 Copright(c)2000, Award Software Inc

Scanning Bios image in hard drive

I'm pulling my hairs out ! I did bios flash upgrades before and even when it did not went smooth, I could still save the situation using a floppy drive. I've tried already the following:

- clear the cmos
- remove all non-essential cards and peripherals
- place the bios file on a burned CD, on a FAT32 formatted disk drive, on a floppy with both the original name and with the .F15 extension changed into .bin
It does not seem to see it.
Reading in this forumit appears the file should be hidden in HPA (host protected area). Obviously in my case the system did not found it there after first reboot (when original drive was still connected). Do I have any chance \to recover from this bungle ? is there a cookbook on how I could manually place the image into a drive HPA (there are some tools around to create an HPA, but is unclear in which format is expected to be placed.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Recovery GA-7VT600 motherboard after failed bios upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:15:02 pm »
Have you tried re-installing bios from a USB Stick, using the Q-Flash utility?

The unzipped bios update folder should be put onto the USB stick.

Plug the USB stick into your PC and when you power up press the 'END' key on your keyboard to take you to the Q-Flash Utility. Locate the file on the USB stick and follow the instructions.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

tblo163

• navy4schools
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:04:41 am »

Hi,Did you ever sort out the bootblock problem? I've been stuck on this one and no one seems to know the answer,I contacted Gigabyte support for help and they replied very quickly,however the response was complettely negative,they seem to have a limited grasp of the English language,they suggested I joined this forum,and had the cheek to ask me to fill in a survey about their service,you can imagine what I replied!They tell me my bios is corrupt,I KNOW it is,I just want to know how to repair it.There must be a solution?
Hi !

I made the common (as I saw on the Internet) mistake to upgrade the Bios of my GA-7VT600 mainboard from version F9 to version F15 using  @Bios utility. It crashed halfway and upon reboot the motherboard displays:

Award BootBlock Bios v1.0 Copright(c)2000, Award Software Inc

Scanning Bios image in hard drive

I'm pulling my hairs out ! I did bios flash upgrades before and even when it did not went smooth, I could still save the situation using a floppy drive. I've tried already the following:

- clear the cmos
- remove all non-essential cards and peripherals
- place the bios file on a burned CD, on a FAT32 formatted disk drive, on a floppy with both the original name and with the .F15 extension changed into .bin
It does not seem to see it.
Reading in this forumit appears the file should be hidden in HPA (host protected area). Obviously in my case the system did not found it there after first reboot (when original drive was still connected). Do I have any chance \to recover from this bungle ? is there a cookbook on how I could manually place the image into a drive HPA (there are some tools around to create an HPA, but is unclear in which format is expected to be placed.
The way of the wicked is as darkness,they know not at what they stumble (that's why I'm here to help)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:16:59 pm »
tblo163 I would recommmend that you try emailing zita212 as opposed to waiting for them to reply on this thread as the chances are that they will never look at it again. Their email is under their avatar.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB