Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X-UD4H Intermittent USB failure with mouse and keyboard

Z87X-UD4H Intermittent USB failure with mouse and keyboard
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:48:11 am »
I upgraded my system at the beginning of January with an i7-4770K in a Z87X-UD4H with 16GB of G.Skill Trident X memory. Almost immediately after build, I started running into a problem with my USB ports. The primary problem is that my mouse will often stop responding for a few seconds, followed by the Windows USB disconnect sound, after which it will begin working again. At first I thought it was only occurring when I let my mouse sit unused for an extended period of time, but soon found that it could happen at any time and in any condition. In addition to the issues with my mouse, my keyboard will occasionally completely disconnect (all lights are off) and will remain unusable until I unplug the connector from the USB port and then reconnect. This latter issue has only happened once while the computer was running, but has happened during reboot at least five to seven times.

I have spent some time working through the issue on another forum and have already tried updating my USB and other system drivers, reflashing the F7 BIOS, and disabling Windows' ability to power down my USB ports, but none of these fixes have affected the problem. One suggestion I haven't been able to try is to disable USB 3.0 support, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be possible as my BIOS version does not have an option to do this, and even if it did, I would much prefer to leave is enabled as I do use two USB 3.0 external drives.

Anyway, I'm really hoping to find some additional help in resolving the problem here as I have not been able to solve this problem elsewhere and many Google searches have not yielded a fix.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:07:14 pm by Treblesum81 »

kjcmjc

Re: Z87X-UD4H Intermittent USB failure with mouse and keyboard
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:33:44 am »
I read this on another forum a person had the same problems you have. He unplugged all USB devices and used a PS 2 mouse, along with windows virtual keyboard and went into windows and uninstalled all USB drivers in device manager, restarted windows and plugged back in his USB mouse and keyboard.  He said it worked with xHCI enabled in the bios after the above fix. You can try this and see if it works. 

I had so many USB 3 problems with the ud4h, that I purchased a z87 pro and have had no issues so far.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:27:03 am »
I read this on another forum a person had the same problems you have. He unplugged all USB devices and used a PS 2 mouse, along with windows virtual keyboard and went into windows and uninstalled all USB drivers in device manager, restarted windows and plugged back in his USB mouse and keyboard.  He said it worked with xHCI enabled in the bios after the above fix. You can try this and see if it works. 

I had so many USB 3 problems with the ud4h, that I purchased a z87 pro and have had no issues so far.

I haven't even seen a PS/2 mouse in over a decade. I'm surprised that you can even buy them still. That being said, can you link to that thread so I can have a read through what he did? As for replacing this motherboard, I'm unlikely to purchase another Gigabyte if I'm unable to resolve these problems.

kjcmjc

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:57:32 am »
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4748108

I just purchased a ps2 mouse 2 days ago for $3 at micro center. Look on ebay, micro center sells online.

The title of the thread is Windows 8.1 USB ports issue on startup.

Good luck

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:41 pm »
It's not quite the same problem because my mouse will start working again almost immediately and the keyboard aspect has only happened a few times, but I'll give it a try tonight after work. Hopefully this will sort everything out.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:26:35 am »
I can say with some certainty now that using a PS/2 mouse to uninstall all USB drivers did nothing to fix the issue. In fact, following the method outlined, I was not able to simply reconnect my devices to get them working again, but instead had to reinstall the drivers off of the disk provided by Gigabyte in order to get my USB ports working again. Even after all of this, my mouse almost immediately displayed the same behavior as before the attempted fix.

With this all being said, though, I have found a mention that the Gigabyte On/Off Charge driver (applecharger.sys) has been the culprit of some USB issues and system instabilities. I have now uninstalled the On/Off Charge driver and hopefully this may prove to have had an effect on my issue. I will report back soon with my findings.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:49:21 am by Treblesum81 »

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 06:59:11 am »
Well, unfortunately uninstalling On/Off Charge drivers didn't fix the issue and I am once again out of ideas as to what I can do to solve this issue. Any mor help the community can offer would be great before I break down and submit a ticket to tech support.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 12:47:47 am »
A new update in case anyone is following this with similar problems. As of 01/27/2014, I have installed the newer F8C beta BIOS which contains the option to disable USB 3.0 support. Neither installing the new BIOS, nor disabling USB 3.0 support through the BIOS has corrected the issue.