Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bricked S1082

Bricked S1082
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:16 am »
Updating the bios on S1082 a couple weeks ago. As I launched the program using touch screen nothing happened for 30 seconds, so I thought my touch didn't register. I tapped on the screen again; all of the sudden 2 instances of firmware update ran at the same time, and now bios update has bricked my s1082. Have opened the back cover and disconnected the cmos bat , drained the battery, held various buttons (like on a Android tablet) for 30 seconds and still nothing. There are no replacement motherboards on ebay, and can't find any details on the bios chip type or where its at on the board.
So beware!
I am thinking about fully dis-assembling, and putting the parts on ebay. Sure wish I knew more about the bios chip and if its replaceable.
Have to admit I did not care for the low quality lcd, other than that I was happy with it. I think my next tablet - I want a baytrail chip, a removable essd drive, a proper reset button, and a crisp bright lcd, and most importantly- buy a tablet that if you crack the digitizer, or break something you can find replacement parts on ebay or alibaba, just like most phones and popular android tablets.  If you want windows downgrade rights to windows 7, Buy one with Windows 8 pro (not basic). I was disappointed gpedit.msc was missing.
There is my 2 cents.

Re: Bricked S1082
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:28:30 am »
Forgot- Maybe Gigabyte should rework the program that updates the bios. It should ask if ready to proceed. Rather then click, and run without user input. That would save the next guy from clicking twice like me and having 2 instances writing to the bios without any user input- ex. Update BIOS-> Proceed?---> Yes - No.