Official GIGABYTE Forum

New Processor New Bios?

New Processor New Bios?
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:25:52 pm »
Hi there guys, I am look at getting this motherboard and a AMD FX-6300 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#ov.

It says AM 3+ ready but also states you need to update the BIOS for it to work with AM 3+ is this an old statement? Obivously it would not be possible for me to update the motherboard without a compatible processor in the first place which would leave me unable to use the parts. Essentially I'm asking if I purchase this will it be AM 3+ ready as it claims or require the update?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:28:22 pm by Oliv272 »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: New Processor New Bios?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:47:20 pm »
Hi there,

The problem is one of supply and demand really. Suppliers may have older stock on the shelves that will require a BIOS update for an AM3+ processor to work so Gigabyte have to make users aware of this possible CPU compatibility issue, hence the warning on the product page.

If you are buying the motherboard from a well know hardware supplier/on-line retailer, then the safest thing to do is to ask them to update the BIOS to the latest version for you before they dispatch the motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

such

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:50:35 pm »
Absic,

do you know if a rev3 F2A88XN will work with an A10 6700? Bought from Amazon this week
I do not have another amd chip to use

Thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:42:37 pm »
Hi there,

yes, your CPU should be fine on this motherboard as it is supported from BIOS version F1. http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4745
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

such

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:50:40 pm »
thanks Absic

that's saved me some grief!

All the best