GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3 no audio
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:15:51 pm »
MS WindowsXP SP3

AMD Phenom II X4 965
3.42GHz processor
4GB RAM
1TB HDD

Hi first post so be gentle :)

I've have had my GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3 system running for over a year without issue when yesterday my power supply blew. I had a spare, compatible PS (though it is 450W not 500W) and installed it as a replacement. Upon boot up I discovered I have no audio output (just a system 'beep' on start-up). I have tried rear and side connections and have tested the speakers and they're fine. I have checked the BIOS and can find no issues there. I have even tried going back to previous Ghost backups without any success. At no point have there been any issues with 'Unknown Devices' etc in my Device Manager and all listed items are showing as active and available.

I have made sure there were no silly mistakes such as mute button enabled etc (Start > Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Volume Control) and I have been through many on-line tutorials just to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. (BTW has anyone *ever* resolved a problem by using MS built-in 'trouble shooting'???  :-\ )

Finally in frustration I wiped and formatted my HDD and re-installed WindowsXP SP2 from scratch and to my horror the issue remained  >:( . I then downloaded and re-installed all the drivers from GIGABYTE website for my MoBo but this too made no odds. I have tried the RealTek audio drivers repeatedly without success. I tried installing an old InnoAX Audio Extreme 5.1 sound card I had lying around but this wouldn't work either.

I'm really pulling my hair out over this (and I can't afford to loose any!) and I'm wondering if the problem is with the PS being 450w instead of 500W or if when it blew it damaged the audio circuit on the MoBo though I don't understand why this would stop the external sound card from working!

Any ideas people???  :'(