Official GIGABYTE Forum

5.1 sound, gigabyte 970a-ds3

5.1 sound, gigabyte 970a-ds3
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:09:24 pm »
I have been given a set of 5.1 speakers with sub. They are creative inspire 5.1 5300.  They are still working and the subwoofer is working.

This is the diagram for connecting the wires on the back of the subwoofer.

1              Line Out 1 jack (Front L/R)

2              Line Out 2 jack (Rear L/R)

3              Line Out 3 jack (Center/Subwoofer)

4              5.1 channel audio cable (available separately)

5              Front (Audio Input) jack

6              Rear (Audio Input) jack

7              Center/Subwoofer (Audio Input) jack

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 and I am on Win 8.1

According to that diagram in the back of the subwoofer I should have the orange jack in centre/subwoofer, the black jack in rear, and the green jack in front and obviously the speakers in the speaker holes.    I definitely have all the wires in the correct places in the back of the subwoofer.

The problem I have is the three wires/jacks (orange, black and green) going from the sub to his PC.   According to the diagram on the PC side the green jack should be going into line out 1 (Front L/R)  , the black jack to line out 2 (rear L/R), and the orange to line out 3 (center/subwoofwer).  On my motherboard/back of my PC I only have line in, line out and mic?

Is there something I am doing wrong or does I need a dedicated soundcard?  I am confused as my motherboard manual says it can do 5.1 sound.

This is a photo of the back of my PC

gerryd

Re: 5.1 sound, gigabyte 970a-ds3
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:15:37 pm »
Have you looked in your motherboard manual. Near the back is a section on setting up 5.1 surround sound. You have to set it up in the audio program. Mine is Realtek. Somewhere on your task bar is a button for entering the program to set it up

GerryD

Re: 5.1 sound, gigabyte 970a-ds3
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 04:02:07 pm »
I have tried changing the windows sound settings.

My real question is coming from the subwoofer I have 3 jacks that should plug into the PC.  The jacks are coloured green, black and orange.  The green jack should be going into line out 1 (Front L/R)  , the black jack to line out 2 (rear L/R), and the orange to line out 3 (center/subwoofwer).  I don't have 3 places to plug them into on the back of my PC.  On the back of my PC I have microphone, line in and line out.  So it looks like I only have one line out  on the back of my PC and I need 3.