Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises [solved]

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises
« Reply #405 on: July 03, 2010, 09:27:44 am »
Well as I have just read on another thread  ex58's just noticed that there is a rev2.0 board being released of the X58A-UD7
GA-X58A-UD7 (Rev.2.0) also coming soon.Here is Manual and first BIOS already released.
I have just been looking at the manual and I can't see any difference so I am assuming that it has something to do with the problems we have been having.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

TLCH723

« Reply #406 on: July 04, 2010, 01:39:00 pm »
I had find that when u set the vcore manually to the "normal" voltage (1.218 something) or higher, the noises disappear.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #407 on: July 04, 2010, 02:00:03 pm »
Well that would have the same effect as turning off the C1 option for power saving.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 03:02:56 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #408 on: July 09, 2010, 02:11:04 pm »
Well I said I would post agin when I had something concrete to say. I have been testing my UD7 motherboard for a while regarding this noise. Now  know that the sound coming from my board was different to the sounds I have heard coming form the UD3 boards but it may have some bearing so I sent an email to Gigabyte explaining my findings and asking for their comments. I will let you know what they say in due course.

Hello

As I said yesterday I have been running my own exhustive tests on this motherboard since I received it from you. I already stated that thie noise was diminished but still audible on setting it up.

Firstly I thought it might have been down to heat because I liquid cool my entire computer system and therefore with no CPU fan there was no secondary cooling of the CPU surrounding area which is where the coils are located.So to counter this I installed a dedicated fan for these components. I didn't notice any appreciable difference in noise level afterwards.

Secondly I thought it might be related to the PSU as has been suggested in other threads on the forum, so I removed it from the case and fixed it at a distance from the motherboard area(as much as physically possible). The noise continued unabated.

There was only one other avenue open to me and that was the cooling system. So I removed the liquid cooler from the CPU and replaced it with a Zalman aircooler that I had available. Although I had to keep it turned right down to kill the noise of the fan on it the "throbbing noise" has dissappeared as far as I could tell. Thinking it must be down to the waterblock I checked that but it was almost silent(just the noise of the flow of water). From this I deduce that the coils are very quiet but the vibrations are being amplified by the waterblock when in position.

So there is a distinct possibility that the noise on the GA-X58A-UD7 motherboards are coil induced but related to the type of heatsink fitted and that is why some boards have problems while others do not. I don't expect that this is something your technicians have tested for.

I would be interested in your comments.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:29:06 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #409 on: July 09, 2010, 09:14:13 pm »
Well I said I would post agin when I had something concrete to say. I have been testing my UD7 motherboard for a while regarding this noise. Now  know that the sound coming from my board was different to the sounds I have heard coming form the UD3 boards but it may have some bearing so I sent an email to Gigabyte explaining my findings and asking for their comments. I will let you know what they say in due course.

Hello

As I said yesterday I have been running my own exhustive tests on this motherboard since I received it from you. I already stated that thie noise was diminished but still audible on setting it up.

Firstly I thought it might have been down to heat because I liquid cool my entire computer system and therefore with no CPU fan there was no secondary cooling of the CPU surrounding area which is where the coils are located.So to counter this I installed a dedicated fan for these components. I didn't notice any appreciable difference in noise level afterwards.

Secondly I thought it might be related to the PSU as has been suggested in other threads on the forum, so I removed it from the case and fixed it at a distance from the motherboard area(as much as physically possible). The noise continued unabated.

There was only one other avenue open to me and that was the cooling system. So I removed the liquid cooler from the CPU and replaced it with a Zalman aircooler that I had available. Although I had to keep it turned right down to kill the noise of the fan on it the "throbbing noise" has dissappeared as far as I could tell. Thinking it must be down to the waterblock I checked that but it was almost silent(just the noise of the flow of water). From this I deduce that the coils are very quiet but the vibrations are being amplified by the waterblock when in position.

So there is a distinct possibility that the noise on the GA-X58A-UD7 motherboards are coil induced but related to the type of heatsink fitted and that is why some boards have problems while others do not. I don't expect that this is something your technicians have tested for.

I would be interested in your comments.

Good work buddy, stress Gigabyte little bit. :P How do you enjoy your super computer if you live in this forum? Do you play bfbc2? if you do, lets play a match pang pang.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:48:32 pm by GreenMagic »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #410 on: July 09, 2010, 09:22:37 pm »
Well GreenMagic I must admit I used to and it's onme of those things that I keep meaning to get around to again. But you know how it is there's always another problem that someone needs help with so my gaming goes out the window for a bit longer. Maybe one day :'(
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Tritono9

« Reply #411 on: July 11, 2010, 05:15:28 am »
I really... REALLY cant believe this  >:(.

I readed all the 29 pages with attention, all words. And I cant believe.

I admire the patience you all have had. Im shocked because I never expected something like this.

Im shocked too because Gigabyte support: they dont give a sh*t until the problem was enlarged and the claims were mass. They was very slow too. I dont excepted that. You pay for your Mobos with effort, so is shocking to me because I can feel is not enough to sacrifice yourself and get the money with effort because you have to invest time and more time to help solve problems that do not correspond. Gigabyte must tested the Mobos with more attention and with more components.

Said that, I dont know what to do. I bought a X58A-UD3R REV 1.0 ten days ago and is new in the box because I need to buy some other parts yet. Surprisingly, yesterday arrived in the same shop the REV 2.0 of this Mobo and I was thinking to change the Mobos, pay the difference and get the 2.0 because is supposedly an improved version BUT it seems is not at all.

I work with audio. I will use Pro Tools, a very picky software. In the Digidesign forums, the EX58 (old Mobo) is very popular because runs PT good. But the EX58 is not more available so I bought the X58A thinking is a improved version. This problem is whit all I7 boards?

Im thinking in get the 2.0, but I need to know if this is a very general problem and all Gigabyte Mobos has this problem or just only some Mobos has this s****y sound and is a matter of luck to get one in good condition?

I cant tolerate noise because I work with audio. If I get noise, I will disable the C1E feature, it will make some damage to the system if I dont want to overclock and turn off it?

I say Thank you all for your time and effort, really. Thank you. I learn alot reading this thread. I will very attentive to your words.

J.P.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:20:10 am by Tritono9 »

Tritono9

« Reply #412 on: July 11, 2010, 06:28:32 am »
I researched about the C1E feature and in discover this: "if you disable C1E your system wont last long.... think about it everything would be at 100% load even at idle"

I need that my system (and I think everybody needs the same) say alive and functional as long as possible as it should be. Im a young worker guy and I will buy this with alot of effort, this will be my work station for many years. What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:30:58 am by Tritono9 »

« Reply #413 on: July 11, 2010, 08:14:41 am »
I really... REALLY cant believe this  >:(.

I readed all the 29 pages with attention, all words. And I cant believe.

I admire the patience you all have had. Im shocked because I never expected something like this.

Im shocked too because Gigabyte support: they dont give a sh*t until the problem was enlarged and the claims were mass. They was very slow too. I dont excepted that. You pay for your Mobos with effort, so is shocking to me because I can feel is not enough to sacrifice yourself and get the money with effort because you have to invest time and more time to help solve problems that do not correspond. Gigabyte must tested the Mobos with more attention and with more components.

Said that, I dont know what to do. I bought a X58A-UD3R REV 1.0 ten days ago and is new in the box because I need to buy some other parts yet. Surprisingly, yesterday arrived in the same shop the REV 2.0 of this Mobo and I was thinking to change the Mobos, pay the difference and get the 2.0 because is supposedly an improved version BUT it seems is not at all.

I work with audio. I will use Pro Tools, a very picky software. In the Digidesign forums, the EX58 (old Mobo) is very popular because runs PT good. But the EX58 is not more available so I bought the X58A thinking is a improved version. This problem is whit all I7 boards?

Im thinking in get the 2.0, but I need to know if this is a very general problem and all Gigabyte Mobos has this problem or just only some Mobos has this s****y sound and is a matter of luck to get one in good condition?

I cant tolerate noise because I work with audio. If I get noise, I will disable the C1E feature, it will make some damage to the system if I dont want to overclock and turn off it?

I say Thank you all for your time and effort, really. Thank you. I learn alot reading this thread. I will very attentive to your words.

J.P.

This thread starter, dkslim, has done a very thorough study on this issue. If you read his recent posts in this thread, you will find out that the noise issue is very much dependant on the combination of UD3R+PSU. I suggest that you may PM runn3R and have his advice which PSU model Gigabyte UK uses to test the X58A motherboard and then try to get the one you can find at your area. The best way is to assemble it, power it and test it. If there is noise issue, then send the UD3R back for RMA. If the RMA UD3R unit also has the noise problem, send the PSU back for RMA. If the RMA PSU also has problem, then like dkslim and all of us here claim the noise issue is not isolated case but is caused by the X58A board, although Gigabyte will beg to defer.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:15:46 am by onemilimeter »
Intel Core i7 920 O/C @3.36GHz, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0), G.Skill ECO Series F3-12800CL8D-4GBECO 2x2 GB, OCZ StealthXStream 600W, Titan Fenrir V2 CPU Cooler, Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA3, XFX 8600GT 256MB, LG GH22NS50, Benq G222HDL

Tritono9

« Reply #414 on: July 11, 2010, 06:59:35 pm »
hi onemilimiter,

I read alll the thread and I understand the thing about PSU: Seasonic and Corsair. I have bought the pc components, except the video card. Fortunately, I bought a cooler master PSU. a Silent Pro 700w. I read here that technicians of gigabyte use cooler master PSU. But I only say that this should never happen. That is all. I will change my Mobo for the Rev 2.0 and I will see what happens, I wish that everything goes well, this is important to me and I wish a solution for you too. For me, this is unacceptable.

tracer

« Reply #415 on: July 11, 2010, 10:29:26 pm »
After trying out the F6j BIOS, and subsequently suffering from file corruption, I've had it.
(note, F6j did nothing for the noise issue).
Went out and bought an Asus P6X58D
I will let you guys know if this board produces the same noise issues as the GA-X58A-UD3R. I have a strong feeling that the answer will be no.

tracer

« Reply #416 on: July 12, 2010, 02:53:04 am »
So I installed the Asus P6X58D Premium without replacing any other hardware.

The results are the same as mentioned elsewhere. There is no more high pitched wine emanating from the motherboard.

However, there is now a "coil noise" emanating from the Power Supply.

The power supply I'm using is a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750W.
So I will contact the manufacturer to see what the deal is.

Overall the noise is much less and more bearable, but still unacceptable.

So my conclusion here is, that somewhere along the way, our industry has failed us. The power supply requirements have changed somewhere along the way, but nobody bothered to tell consumers.

ex58

« Reply #417 on: July 12, 2010, 05:17:21 am »
Beta BIOS F6k on TT forum.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #418 on: July 12, 2010, 07:47:03 am »
There are plenty of instances on the forums of Asus boards also making noises(although I haven't heard anything as bad as the Gigabyte ones). That is why I don't recommmend people to change brands when they have the problem. I think it's something to do with the chipset and the coils that everyone is now using. Probably they are more prone to oscillation and there is a frequency that they are picking up, maybe through the power supply, and amplifying. That is why only some combinations have this problem. I just don't feel that any of the manufacturers are taking this problem seriously enough. They are more "paying lip service" to us.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Tritono9

« Reply #419 on: July 13, 2010, 07:46:22 am »
hey! I have the rev 2.0 here. I managed to change the rev 1.0 for the rev 2.0. I need to buy the videocard and a monitor to complete my setup and start my build. When I have news, I will let you know how Im doing with the X58A UD3R Rev 2.0 and the CM Silent Pro. I only wish a silent and stable system tor work with.

This really piss me off, because one thing is detected bug and that companies provide immediate assistance, efficiently and accurately, keeping attention on the problem and making a effective fix investing the neccesary energy, and another thing is that the companies know the problem and virtually ignore it or put a very little of energy to fix it. Is not enough to get the money with effort, you need to be prepared to fight and lost time for bugs like this. Is unacceptable.

I will let you know about.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:48:57 am by Tritono9 »