Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises [solved]

jaicigy

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2010, 10:12:54 am »
It sure is funny.. this was the answer from Support of Gigabyte when I sent them a mail regarding the release of the new Revision 2.0 and the new Firmware version FA:

Dear ...,

We have no idea where did you hear or see the new firmware for revision 2.0 mainboard. The high-pitching sounds is the noisy while electricity passed by or hardware faulty, we would suggest you contact supplier for further repair service or contact our distributor for further assistance; please note that sometimes it will require service charge or handling fee which totally depend on their own warranty terms. Please visit our web site for more information about how to get in touch with them: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/WhereToBuy/Default.aspx

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

I replied them with the link posted by noobuser25 and asked them directly what is changing with this new board Revision 2.0 with Firmware FA and what is fixed... I am curious about their answer..

And yes, there seem to be some changes between the 2 boards, rev.1.0 and rev.2.0, here pictures of both:

Rev.1.0:

Rev.2.0:

Who finds the differences?? :-\ ::)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:02:09 pm by jaicigy »

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2010, 03:59:43 pm »
Hello again to everyone...I have contact Gigabyte yesterday about the pcb v2.0 of the x58a-ud3r and the x58a-ud5 and I'm waiting for an answer...I do noticed diferences in both pictures too for the ud3r and the ud5 from v1.0 to v2.0 and apparently they have changed the voltage regulator area as you can see cleary in the specs of the ud5 that has the new Smart 16 power phase design with mutual back-up to each 8 phase...don't know about the ud3r change about the phases because it doesn't write anything about it but when i saw the diferences of the locations of some capacitors and voltage regulator I think the company has informed the issue and changed the components of the voltage regulator area...Nobody must be 100% sure about that 
the problem is permanently fixed until we hear positive comments from other users that have bought the ud5 and the ud3r and stress test it and confirme that the v2.0 haven't got the issue ...I will post again when I have further answers from Gigabyte and I won't buy the ud5 until at least one user comments that the issue is gone for the v2.0 pcb THX for your support and again sorry for my english :) PS Maybe the issue doesn't affects stability of the
system but this a serious issue for such expensive motherboards that have so many high end features and that high quality build. As so many others confirmed that the problem exists new users must be careful when selecting those motherboards to avoid the frustration and dissapointment that such good products will probably give...I'm looking forward to hear confirmations about v2.0 boards both the ud5 and the ud3r that don't have that problem anymore thx again

« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2010, 04:04:49 pm »
 It looks like some capacitors are missing from the area above the CPU socket.  They also seem to have moved sys fan 2 from being next to the third PCIe slot to the bottom right corner of the board.  

I have a board from batch # 1018.  My board does not have the electrical squealing noise that so many of you guys are experiencing, infact it does not make any noise what so ever.  I know what your talking about though, my old abit in9-32x-max 680i board made all sorts of really high-pitched squeaky noises.   I’m running a stock i7 930 with 6gb of 1600 memory and two gtx260s in sli.

A question I do have though is what voltage should I manually set for a stock i7 930?  Right now I have it set to the default “auto” and I’m told that when set to auto the board over-volts everything.

The CPU voltage light is orange, the memory voltage light is green and the NB voltage light is also green.  

Searching google I cant find anything about what the stock voltages should be for a i7 930.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:20:38 pm by Spiffy G. »

« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:33 pm »
It looks like some capacitors are missing from the area above the CPU socket.  They also seem to have moved sys fan 2 from being next to the third PCIe slot to the bottom right corner of the board.  

I have a board from batch # 1018.  My board does not have the electrical squealing noise that so many of you guys are experiencing, infact it does not make any noise what so ever.  I know what your talking about though, my old abit in9-32x-max 680i board made all sorts of really high-pitched squeaky noises.   I’m running a stock i7 930 with 6gb of 1600 memory and two gtx260s in sli.

A question I do have though is what voltage should I manually set for a stock i7 930?  Right now I have it set to the default “auto” and I’m told that when set to auto the board over-volts everything.

The CPU voltage light is orange, the memory voltage light is green and the NB voltage light is also green.  

Searching google I cant find anything about what the stock voltages should be for a i7 930.

Hi Spiffy.G Can you tell us what your bios version is? Is it FA?And do you have the ud3r or the ud5? How do I identify from batch numbers that is the v2.0 pcb and the FA bios? thx

« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »
Hi Spiffy.G Can you tell us what your bios version is? Is it FA?And do you have the ud3r or the ud5? How do I identify from batch numbers that is the v2.0 pcb and the FA bios? thx

Yeah, i have the GA-X58a-ud3r (Rev 1.0), The batch number is the first part of the serial number.  I got the SN off the box which is SN1018xxxxxxx.  It shipped with bios version F5 already installed on it.  

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:14:17 pm by Spiffy G. »

jaicigy

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2010, 08:45:52 pm »
[/quote]Hi Spiffy.G Can you tell us what your bios version is? Is it FA?And do you have the ud3r or the ud5? How do I identify from batch numbers that is the v2.0 pcb and the FA bios? thx[/quote]

The name and Revision of the board is always mentioned on the box and on the motherboard itself, manufacturer, model and revision, the serial number you can find on the box and on the side of the power connection on the motherboard.

I wunder when we will have first proof and impressions from anyone with a Revision 2.0 board.. :o
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:47:14 pm by jaicigy »

Arundor

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2010, 11:30:57 pm »
Good news on the rev 2.0.  It's better than nothing, although I'm still not looking forward to leaping through hoops to get my rev 1.0 RMA'd and replaced with a 2.0.

To those who have already arranged a replacement, I hope you'll inform us whether rev 2.0 is an improvement. :)

From what I've seen a CPU vcore of 1.20 seems to be about right.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2010, 08:46:19 pm »
Gigabyte's customer help service leaves a lot to be desired! I still haven't recieved any response from my inquiry to them from several days ago. It hasn't even been read yet.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

jaicigy

« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2010, 09:34:38 am »
you could say that. This was their answer regarding why a revision 2.0 of this board:

Dear ...,

The significant change of revision 2.0 motherboard is for hardware support On/Off charge , with different BIOS .

High-pitching sound from motherboard is hardware issue, we would suggest you bring the mainboard back to supplier for further check or have replacement. Sorry for inconvenience.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

I find it a bit hard to believe that ONLY for on/off charge they developed a revision 2.0 board..

Until further notice, we´ll have to have patience..

« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2010, 10:05:00 am »
Looks to me like rev1.0 is 8 phase power and rev 2.0 is 12 ?

Also the realtek lan has gone from 8111d to 8111e.
i7 860 | 4GB GEIL PC-12800 | Gigabyte P55 UD4P | Sapphire 5870 1gb | 2x60gb OCZ Vertex +5xHD | 850W Silverstone | CoolerMaster Stacker | Viewsonic 28"

dkslim

« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2010, 03:11:03 pm »
Bad news people, I just tested a Revision 2.0 UD3R and it still makes the same noise, both from the CPU socket area and the attached power supply. Tried 3 different brands of power supplies again, no difference.  :-[
I guess the changes made to the UD3R were not noise-related, despite the existence of this thread. Doesn't look like Gigabyte really cares about fixing noise problems??
I'll have a chat with Gigabyte staff again on the next business day (Monday), and see what they say... sigh.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:14:53 pm by dkslim »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2010, 04:56:52 pm »
Yes, Iv'e still had no reply to my query and I think it is a case of "we've got your money - tough!"
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Arundor

« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2010, 10:42:21 pm »
Bad news people, I just tested a Revision 2.0 UD3R and it still makes the same noise, both from the CPU socket area and the attached power supply. Tried 3 different brands of power supplies again, no difference.  :-[
I guess the changes made to the UD3R were not noise-related, despite the existence of this thread. Doesn't look like Gigabyte really cares about fixing noise problems??
I'll have a chat with Gigabyte staff again on the next business day (Monday), and see what they say... sigh.

Sorry to hear it, but thanks for letting us know.

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2010, 05:10:19 am »
Mine is SN1015 (REV. 1.0). Also has the similar noise issue (read here).

When Google Chrome is open, I can hear a "high-pitch high-frequency" (HPHF) noise from the computer, which is not very loud but audible and very annoying especially at midnight when the environment is quiet. The HPHF noise is not from speaker because at the moment no speaker is connected to the computer. After a careful investigation using a "straw", I think the noise is from somewhere around the CPU socket (i.e. under the CPU heat sink fan, I'm using Titan Fenrir v2).

Like you all, after disabling the C1E in the BIOS or through the Setting tab of Real Temp, the HPHF noise has gone. However, the temperature of the CPU at idle is approximately 5 deg Celsius higher now!

In the following tests, only one program is activated at every time. When either only Google Chrome or Real Temp is open, the noise appears and it's gone when it's closed. When either IE8, Windows Explorer, or notepad is activated, I did not hear such noise.

Say now the Google Chrome is activated and hence the noise appears. Without closing the Google Chrome, I run another program which needs high computation power (e.g. virus scan). Immediately, the CPU voltage increases up to 1.200V or higher and the noise disappears.

Thus, I would say that the HPHF noise is significant if the CPU voltage (monitored by EasyTune6) falls within (0.928~1.200V). When the CPU voltage is maintained at 0.928V, i.e. at very light load, and when it reaches 1.200V or above, the HPHF noise's gone. Can I say that the VRM of the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R does not work well within 0.928~1.200V? I guess the HPHF noise is emitted by the inductors used in the VRM. If someone has some knowledge on the design of VRM probably he can explain. By the way, my PSU is OCZ 600W.

I clamped the 12V CPU supply leads with an EMC ferrite. Guess what? The noise becomes louder!

Frankly I'm really disappointed as I always work at night and hence the noise is really unbearable. It's my hard money to buy this board. After reading all the posts in this thread, it's very clear that it's a design flaw in the VRM of this motherboard. It's shameful to Gigabyte for not admitting their fault and they keep on giving stupid excuses. Since REV. 2.0 does not solve the problem too, I'm considering to return it and get an equivalent ASUS board.

I should have visited this forum before purchasing the board. If I do so, I will definitely not buy the board!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:37:24 am by onemilimeter »
Intel Core i7 920 O/C @3.36GHz, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0), G.Skill ECO Series F3-12800CL8D-4GBECO 2x2 GB, OCZ StealthXStream 600W, Titan Fenrir V2 CPU Cooler, Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA3, XFX 8600GT 256MB, LG GH22NS50, Benq G222HDL

mkb

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »
I also have experienced the high pitched noise. I received the motherboard last week SN1015 (REV. 1.0). Following the advice from this board I disabled C1E in bios and the noise appears to have ceased. I had already launched an RMA request with the e-tailer before reading this thread but now I'm unsure exchanging it for potentially a REV. 2.0 would be worthwhile seeing as the problem would remain the same. Seeing as I plan on overclocking my i7 920 anyway to higher than stock voltages the problem, I imagine, wouldn't reappear even with C1E enabled.