Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises [solved]

jaicigy

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R electrical noises
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2010, 01:09:29 pm »
Well dkslim, I just offered my mobo for checkup and service so it went to the Gigabyte office and they could not and/or did not want to do something about the noise issues so not really useful information... bad publicity widely spread is in this case I think the key.

Yes I read about your experience and their replies, and feel for you. I would be disappointed, upset, and angry as well, if I went to the trouble of sending my motherboard in, and discover they did not even try to find the problem. I had similar feelings when I RMA'd my UD3R the first 2 times, it was only the 3rd time when the warranty manager personally looked at the motherboard with me, and we located the noise together.

I am guessing that your Gigabyte office might not be as helpful, it really depends on who the warranty manager is. I was lucky the warranty manager in Melbourne was great. You could try to contact the Gigabyte office you sent it to, talk to the person in charge, and see what they say...

Otherwise, just wait for the BIOS update, at least the hard work has been done and Gigabyte is trying to do something about the noise now...

Thanks for your motivating words but like I said before, I am not going to spend more time and effort in it since I use now an ASUS P6X58D-E board without any problems..
I just hope the new BIOS comes out soon and the noise problems are really solved with that new BIOS but frankly I doubt that a hardware issue is solved by software but that is my opinion .. still, I will keep track of every info that comes up about this topic

dkslim

« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2010, 01:11:03 pm »
Someone did claim that with Windows 7 and with C1E enabled, no noise was heard. Do you hv the same experience with Windows 7?

It's the opposite for me, I used Windows 7 (64 bit) and with C1E enabled and voltage set on Auto, I heard the noise.

« Reply #152 on: May 27, 2010, 01:22:05 pm »
I just hope the new BIOS comes out soon and the noise problems are really solved with that new BIOS but frankly I doubt that a hardware issue is solved by software but that is my opinion .. still, I will keep track of every info that comes up about this topic
I agree. If it is a hardware issue (which I believe it's the problem encountered by the board at the moment), then it will be very hard to completely eliminate the problem.
Intel Core i7 920 O/C @3.36GHz, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0), G.Skill ECO Series F3-12800CL8D-4GBECO 2x2 GB, OCZ StealthXStream 600W, Titan Fenrir V2 CPU Cooler, Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA3, XFX 8600GT 256MB, LG GH22NS50, Benq G222HDL

« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2010, 01:25:41 pm »
I remember you told me before that you found out Gigabyte technicians use Coolermaster PSUs to power the Gigabyte motherboard and they did not hear the sound. Now I understand why they didn't hear the noise. I think, if we use Coolermaster PSU, we will also hear the similar noise.
Intel Core i7 920 O/C @3.36GHz, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0), G.Skill ECO Series F3-12800CL8D-4GBECO 2x2 GB, OCZ StealthXStream 600W, Titan Fenrir V2 CPU Cooler, Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA3, XFX 8600GT 256MB, LG GH22NS50, Benq G222HDL

jaicigy

« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2010, 01:25:52 pm »
I agree. If it is a hardware issue (which I believe it's the problem encountered by the board at the moment), then it will be very hard to completely eliminate the problem.

I think they might find a way to make the noise less (annoying) but not making it dissappear completely or solve it as if it never existed so I do not have too much faith in the new BIOS and the magic it will do.. but eh.. let´s be positive and let Gigabyte engineers find the magic potion..

dkslim

« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2010, 04:50:59 pm »
I remember you told me before that you found out Gigabyte technicians use Coolermaster PSUs to power the Gigabyte motherboard and they did not hear the sound. Now I understand why they didn't hear the noise. I think, if we use Coolermaster PSU, we will also hear the similar noise.

Yes that's right, the Gigabyte technicians use Coolermaster power supplies to test their motherboards. Saw it first-hand.
But remember, there are 2 types of noises.... 1) noise coming from the motherboard (this one you will hear, regardless of what power supply you use), and 2) noise coming from the power supply but caused by feedback from the motherboard (this one, I was told by the Gigabyte guy, you can't hear from the Coolermaster power supplies). So the Coolermaster power supply is useful for stopping only the 2nd type of noise. I personally have not tried a Coolermaster yet, because I have read reviews on the net about Coolermaster fans spinning too fast (so not silent enough) and also criticisms about them making whining/squealing noises.

dkslim

« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2010, 04:53:01 pm »
I think they might find a way to make the noise less (annoying) but not making it dissappear completely or solve it as if it never existed so I do not have too much faith in the new BIOS and the magic it will do.. but eh.. let´s be positive and let Gigabyte engineers find the magic potion..

Yes, I think we all share the same view, as I said before I still think it's mainly a hardware issue. But we are not engineers, we might be wrong, let's just see what happens when the new BIOS is released.

Let's not forget that Gigabyte is now trying to do something about it (rather than ignore it), so that's already something positive. They have my support at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:55:30 pm by dkslim »

jaicigy

« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2010, 05:23:17 pm »

Yes, I think we all share the same view, as I said before I still think it's mainly a hardware issue. But we are not engineers, we might be wrong, let's just see what happens when the new BIOS is released.

Let's not forget that Gigabyte is now trying to do something about it (rather than ignore it), so that's already something positive. They have my support at the moment.

Don´t kid yourself or be naieve.. Gigabyte is simply trying to find a temporary solution to shut everybody up (or until everybody upgrades to a newer board I guess) and yes.. maybe it can be made less with software but I am convinced that it is a hardware issue and they can only solve it by probably making the boards with better quality parts and testing them more thorougly.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2010, 05:59:12 pm »
You might have noticed that runn3R has been conspicuous by his absence all through this thread! I agree with jaicigy they are just trying to keep everybody quiet while they sweep it under the carpet.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:00:04 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

jaicigy

« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2010, 06:04:45 pm »
they are just trying to keep everybody quiet while they sweep it under the carpet.

Let´s just say I know how the game works. I´ve worked in a service center giving support to customers of a different brand and have had to dissappoint many customers, only be able to give them these time winning and undefinitive solutions... really stressy and energy consuming.. ???

« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2010, 06:51:06 pm »
I found out my posts have been edited! I can't believe Gigabyte will do this thing... shameful...

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2010, 08:44:32 pm »
Hi onemilimeter
I did pm you about it at the time and to let you know, mine was also altered. I take it that it was runn3R(as moderator) who did it but didn't want to come on the thread and say so.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2010, 10:01:12 pm »
Hi onemilimeter
I did pm you about it at the time and to let you know, mine was also altered. I take it that it was runn3R(as moderator) who did it but didn't want to come on the thread and say so.
What they did will only make customers to be more angry!

dkslim

« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2010, 01:45:43 am »
I found out my posts have been edited! I can't believe Gigabyte will do this thing... shameful...

I noticed that too. In my opinion, Gigabyte should not be editing genuine posts from genuine customers... that leads to all sorts of problems...

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2010, 08:52:13 am »
You might have noticed that runn3R has been conspicuous by his absence all through this thread! I agree with jaicigy they are just trying to keep everybody quiet while they sweep it under the carpet.

Don't worry. I am watching this thread for some time and informed HQ about it already. They are working in this.
Nobody is trying to sweep the problem under the carpet. Such long time to confirm the problem was due to:

(...) Gigabyte RMA engineers could not hear the noise, because of 3 factors:
1) The technicians work in a room that is quite noisy, there are fans etc on all the time. Even I had a hard time hearing the noise when I was in their testing room. We had to put our ears right next to the area that was making the noise, in order to hear it. So it would have been easy for the technicians to miss the noise.
2) Some people simply cannot hear high-pitch noises well. Apparently the technicians in general are unlikely to hear high-pitch noises, because they have been exposed to noise all the time in their work environment, which makes them less likely to notice soft noises coming from a motherboard.
3) Gigabyte uses Windows Vista to test their motherboards, not the latest OS Windows 7.  It could be that the noise only occurs when running certain operating systems, and not when running Windows Vista. (...)
and:
(...) Gigabyte technicians use Coolermaster PSUs to power the Gigabyte motherboard and they did not hear the sound. Now I understand why they didn't hear the noise.

P.S.

I noticed that too. In my opinion, Gigabyte should not be editing genuine posts from genuine customers... that leads to all sorts of problems...

Yes I did edit your posts by lowering your extremely big fonts of your "campaign". We can't support such pro-competition posts ;). Please mind I have not changed it's contents, not a single word been changed.
Mates don't forget it's a Gigabyte forum ...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:00:51 am by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)