Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68X-UD3-B3. BSOD on Reboot no drives found during BIOS startup

Hi All,

I have an issue with my machine, on average once a week my system BSODs.  It is very random, could be watching a movie, playing a game, one time I was away from the computer on a lunch break.  It has been happening since I have owned this Mobo.  As it only once a week I haven’t been too concerned, it wouldn't be a Windows OS without BSOD every now and then.

The thing that concerns me and what I want to find an answer for is when the system reboots during the boot up, the BIOS cannot find any drives (both with old f6 and f13 bios).  So the system fails to restart.  I have to turn the PSU off for about 30 seconds.  Then boot up.

At the moment I have no BSOD mini dump logs, the last time it BSOD it was unable to write the log to disk.

Last week I finally went from mb_bios_ga-z68x-ud3-b3_f6 to mb_bios_ga-z68x-ud3-b3_f13.  The two days following this I had a BSOD, the second failed to write the log.  I written this off to coincidence.  I am now on my 5 day with the new firmware.

Anybody heard of similar problem, my Google skills failed to bring up anything.
Any other suggestions.

Cheers

Additional Info
I have am using: RAID(XHD) with SSD OS drive and a 2x 1TB HDD in Raid 0 configuration.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:32:43 pm by DeadeyeJones »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z68X-UD3-B3. BSOD on Reboot no drives found during BIOS startup
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:10:34 pm »
BSOD are sometimes hard to pin point the problem. If you can open the mini dump maybe it can tell you what the problem is.

The two heatsinks on the board getting so hot that you can't touch them. Plus you said it has been happening from day one too.

Have you tried different parts in the computer like memory, video card & drives?

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:22:55 pm »
I agree with BSOD are tough to find.  As the issue is infrequent and is very random, I haven't been too concerned.
I would like to amend my original reporting of my system BSOD once a week to probably 1.66 times per month would be more accurate.  Average the system is up 8-10 hours a day.
I used GPU-Z and Nvidia System Monitor.  The CPUs tick over at 37 to 40C and 100% they hit 60-63C. 

I have played Tomb Raider 2014 for some 20 hours it never BSOD of me.

I will run an MemTest86 in a moment leave it for a couple of hours see what it says.  Just to cross it off my list

I don't believe the Graphics card is a fault, as I would see more frequent BSOD and BSODing during gameplay.

The thing I am very suspicious of is the SSD hard drive.  I looked on the Corsair site before but couldn't anything similar to my issue.

As I said before after the BSOD the bios cannot find any hard drives. 

I have changed my BSOD settings so the computer will not automatic reboot. I will have to physically have to hit the reset button.  I just want to see if that makes a difference.  Also I change my Virtual memory from 1GB Min and 2GB max to "system managed".  Also I note that my Pagefile is on the HDD (H drive).  When I have had failures in the past my understanding is the WIndows will copy the contents of pagefile to the %SystemRoot% dump file which is somewhere on C. 

I am considering updating the firmware on the SSD but this is going to be a painful slow and difficult.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »
Okay that was tough.

I ran memtest86 for 4 hours no problems found.

I update the SSD firmware from 1.3 to 5.05.  I noticed the power cord is daisy chained from HDD to SSD.  So I changed that so the SSD is on it's own loop and HDD are chained together.  I don't think it will make a difference, but maybe there is a power drop that is causing the SSD to freak out.

I managed to kill my Raid 1 in the process and had restore all my data on Raid HDD drives.  Fun.

Now I play the waiting game.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:53:29 pm »

I managed to kill my Raid 1 in the process and had restore all my data on Raid HDD drives.  Fun.

At one time I was Array king. But now I just run straight drives. I had two SSD would just disappear.

I have to do the same thing turn the PSU switch off. I was ready to send them back when I check. They had a firmware update for that.

They have been working fine since than. Where is the SSD is it on with the array drives on the same controller?

Yes I have read that it shouldn't matter that the SSD is there. But I like my SSD on it's controller with AHCI running.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »
The SSD is on the same controller, but not part of the Array.

I have 6 ports on the controller 2xHDDs in Raid1, an SSD, a DVD drive.  The second controller is un-used.

The general feeling I get on the Corsair website is the Intel Controller is better for the Corsair SSD.

Edit://
Okay I have moved the DVD drive to Marvell Controller.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:16:15 pm by DeadeyeJones »