Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA790XT-UD4P - Windows 7 drivers?

GA-MA790XT-UD4P - Windows 7 drivers?
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:43:03 pm »
I heard it is sometimes a good idea to install chipset-drivers for your motherboard.

Problem is, when i download the drivers from the Gigabyte homepage:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3012&ost=windows+7+64bit#anchor_os

Chipset / SATA RAID
2009/08/14   AMD Chipset Driver (include chipset\sata raid driver)
motherboard_driver_chipset_amd_7series-v2.0_win7-64_novga.exe

To me that seems like the right driver, but when i want to install there are some strange .exe files where i don't think it is obvious which one to start. actually it seems like the wrong drivers.
There are some ATI-graphic-looking drivers there, that seems very wrong to install.

In other words, have i downloaded the right drivers, and exactly what exe-file should i start in order to install drivers for the chipset?

Thanks in advance

My system:

Motherboard:
GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Graphics card:
Nvidia Geforce GTX260

Windows 7  x64

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA790XT-UD4P - Windows 7 drivers?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:59:24 pm »
Hi there, yes you have downloaded the correct driver package.

The ATI stuff that you are seeing is for the chipsets which are both AMD so don't panic.

If you have already installed Windows 7 though, you shouldn't really need to reinstall any of the drivers unless they are actually missing. Check in Device Manager to make sure that there are no big yellow question marks (?) or exclamation points(!). If you don't have any of these everything is fine.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 02:22:44 pm »
Thanks a lot absic115, the answer is very comforting. No need to mess around with the system, unless it gives a real advantage.

But isn't there a chance one is missing out on some advanced features that the motherboard/onboard-sound/something-else is capable of?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »
Hey, the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" comes to mind. If the rig is doing what you want then that's great. If something is missing or not working properly, then that IS a problem.

If everything is fine in Device manager, it is fairly safe to assume that your PC is working as it should and that the software environment is OK. And no, you shouldn't be missing out on any of the advanced features as most of these are hardware based rather than software.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.