Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bios keeps reseting itself B75M-D3H

Bios keeps reseting itself B75M-D3H
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:08:36 pm »
I am at my wits end with this, the bios on this board resets after cycling the power a few times.
I have updated the bios, and drivers to the latest release using gigabyte downloads and @bios.
I have replaced the CMOS battery with a brand new Energizer made in Japan Lithium Ion cell.
there is NO jumper on the cmos clear pins.
NO XMP Profile is used.
Yet the bios keeps reseting to factory defaults.
The primary symptom is  Windows 7 freezes at the splash screen as the BIOS reverts to IDE mode and I have to manually set it to AHCI, and a few other more minor settings.

:-[

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Bios keeps reseting itself B75M-D3H
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:27:35 am »
Could you give a few of your spec's. What are you using as a drive? SSD or HHD? If you are using just a hard drive just leave it on IDE.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:15:36 am »
Could you give a few of your spec's. What are you using as a drive? SSD or HHD? If you are using just a hard drive just leave it on IDE.
i have no time for forum trolls, please step off this thread.

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 05:14:14 am »
I'll step off the thread and I have reported it to the mods. I let them decide if I'm a Troll & thanks for the nice name.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:56:34 am »
dmdilks is not a troll and his first request, for your system spec's, is one that any of us would ask. In fact, if you check through this thread in the FAQ Section: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2195.0.html you can see the kind of information that we ask members to provide when making their post(s)

Problems, such as the one your PC is displaying can be caused by many things, not just a motherboard/bios issue and the more information that can be provided concerning other hardware can help when diagnosing faults.

Please do not allow your frustration with a problem to run over into personal insults against other users of this forum. We are here because we use Gigabyte products and some of us have stayed around to assist others with their issues and to provide help and support from our own experiences and knowledge in an effort to make the problem solving conundrum, less painful for those who are new to it or, who have hit a brick wall that they cannot get over by themselves.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 02:12:25 pm »
dmdilks is not a troll and his first request, for your system spec's, is one that any of us would ask. In fact, if you check through this thread in the FAQ Section: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2195.0.html you can see the kind of information that we ask members to provide when making their post(s)

Problems, such as the one your PC is displaying can be caused by many things, not just a motherboard/bios issue and the more information that can be provided concerning other hardware can help when diagnosing faults.

Please do not allow your frustration with a problem to run over into personal insults against other users of this forum. We are here because we use Gigabyte products and some of us have stayed around to assist others with their issues and to provide help and support from our own experiences and knowledge in an effort to make the problem solving conundrum, less painful for those who are new to it or, who have hit a brick wall that they cannot get over by themselves.

I clearly stated the issue, now absic and dmdilks are derailing my thread.

the issue isnt the other pieces of hardware or reconfiguring bios to run ide mode.

i5 3470 -not the issue
8gb ddr3 1600-not the issue
1tb caviar black -not the issue
cooler master or thermaltake psu -not the issue
asus dvd­r -not the issue
win7 64 -not the issue
nothing overclocked, 100% vanilla build for a client that doesnt game or video edit, hence no gpu.
again, the problem here is the motherboard:
the bios is reseting to default on its own.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:40:29 pm by Friendship »

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 04:37:26 am »
Is there anyone in this forum with a practical response to this issue?

I do not need a basic level run through of a technical manual/ problem solving,

I was hoping that there would be someone here with knowledge pertaining to a similar scenario with an actual solution, this would save me the time of RMA'ing this board.

dmdilks

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »
I'm sorry but I wasn't going to reply again. But I can't help myself. You might not get anybody to help.

The first thing you did wrong was come back on your 2nd post and started calling people names.  :o

The 2nd thing you did wrong was tell the #1 guy here that could have help you said he is derailing my thread.  ???

At this point I thing the best thing you can do is call or email support and let them help you. This is a user to user forum and like I said you more likely wouldn't get any body to help now.  ;D

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:15 am »
I'm sorry but I wasn't going to reply again. But I can't help myself. You might not get anybody to help.

The first thing you did wrong was come back on your 2nd post and started calling people names.  :o

The 2nd thing you did wrong was tell the #1 guy here that could have help you said he is derailing my thread.  ???

At this point I thing the best thing you can do is call or email support and let them help you. This is a user to user forum and like I said you more likely wouldn't get any body to help now.  ;D

Like I said to you before, I have no time for Forum Trolls.
It is quite apparent that you Troll this forum to make Useless posts to waste peoples time, likely to boost your own post count.
Perhaps you should have taken the time to read the actual context of the first post I made, instead of responding like a noob that i should reconfigure for IDE mode. 
Secondly You have an avatar of Rowan Atkinson making faces, which to me implies that you are not here to help people that come here, more that of a joker

As a first timer to the gigabyte forum, you sir have made this experience absolutely awful, and I hope that a moderator with any common sense will see your bullying as a threat to the longevity of this community which you should not be a part of.
I have come here with a legitimate problem and you go into a childish bickering, attempting to insult me for rightfully guarding my thread from derailing.
But Trolls like you insist on having a hissy fit and making a thread like this all about you.
I'll step off the thread and I have reported it to the mods. I let them decide if I'm a Troll & thanks for the nice name.
All of these quotes have been so helpful, the quality and precision of your replies have been nothing but top notch, should i start exploring more posts by you in other threads?  Sorry but I dont have the time to waste.

oh and thanks for wrecking my thread, real helpful, really.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:45:10 am by Friendship »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 02:56:02 pm »
Firstly hello and welcome to the Gigabyte official forum. Although official it is kept going by other Gigabyte customers who hope to be able to help one another with any problems they might come across. With a view to this outcome often a little more information is required than is imediately given. The fact that you have already determined the non faulty components is irrelevant because you wouldn't be asking for help if you were so good at faultfinding, so please let somebody else that is trying to help you ask a few questions to aid in their effort to locate the problem.

Personally I would think that it could be a power supply issue, but without more information this is only a guess as I have not been given much in the way of specs which is the first question most of us would ask in this situation. Please don't go around alienating people that have only your best interests at heart!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 04:13:51 pm »
Firstly hello and welcome to the Gigabyte official forum. Although official it is kept going by other Gigabyte customers who hope to be able to help one another with any problems they might come across. With a view to this outcome often a little more information is required than is imediately given. The fact that you have already determined the non faulty components is irrelevant because you wouldn't be asking for help if you were so good at faultfinding, so please let somebody else that is trying to help you ask a few questions to aid in their effort to locate the problem.

Personally I would think that it could be a power supply issue, but without more information this is only a guess as I have not been given much in the way of specs which is the first question most of us would ask in this situation. Please don't go around alienating people that have only your best interests at heart!

I didnt come here to sling mud and certainly not have any problems with other members, sorry you read through this ire.
Personally I would like to delete this thread and start over with clean one.

specs
all new components
system was built in October 2013
symptoms began in late January 2014

intel i5 3470
8Gb DDR3 (2x4Gb) 1600 GSkill
Gigabyte B75M-D3H board
1tb Caviar Black WD 2nd or 3rd gen black.
EVGA 550w power supply
Asus DVDr
CoolerMaster N200 Mini Tower
Windows 7 64

This is a build for a photographer that needs to quickly convert RAW images to Tiff.
No GPU as she does not game or video edit, which is one of the main reasons for choosing this board as it enables the intel on cpu video.
Nothing overclocked: 100% vanilla speeds, no XMP profile used. (stock cooler on the cpu.)

The Fault is difficult for me to replicate, as it happens after the pc has been powered down for several hours, and doesnt show after cycling the power manually (after reconfiguring the bios). So it happens when Im not there to immediately diagnose, when she needs to get her work done.. so I get the lovely panic calls, and have to go to her house to redo the bios settings.
Win 7 was installed with AHCI compatibility, the fault sets the board back to IDE mode which was how this was discovered ~ Windows freezes at the splash screen. And of course I changed the win7 registry to IDE mode but that didnt solve the issue, nor did it solve the board reseting of course, set it back to AHCI once it was clear that wasnt the issue.

Did the standard run around, cleared the cmos with a jumper and held the power button in for 1 minute. Pulled each cable off the board, checked the connections, checked both sticks of ram, one at a time in the board.
made sure the wires on the 20+4 pin power connector were all properly connected and not getting pushed out. Power supply has the 8 Pin cpu connector that pairs with the board nicely, again all properly seated, nothing indicating a power fault; nothing scorched or indication of arc.
Changed the cmos battery, checked the front panel connection pins on the board, checked the usb slots for debris. I considered using my killawatt on the electrical outlet shes using to check for voltage drops, but I realized the cmos battery should have the bios settings covered in that scenario.
updated the bios, all the drivers to latest editions. She has malwarebytes full version running on a regular schedule, I ran several more thorough malware /virus scans. nothing turned up.
stumped, turned to this forum in hopes of similar situation reported / solved.
this is a lower end board, and not really worth this much headache imo, but if I can save her from the down time to RMA of  (x)weeks, and the headache of having to give her a loaner build during that time... thats where I'm at.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:49:22 pm by Friendship »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 04:51:05 pm »
Hi again and thanks for the extended rundown of all the pertinent details. I understand that it does take some time but hopefully someone will get a better idea of the fault from them. Apart from the board having a hardware fault you seem to have covered most obvious paths. I would just mention that it would be worth checking that the 8 pin to the board is the correct one and not got mixed up with a PCIE one as has been known to happen.
Apart from that have you tried installing a different BIOS version? Don't forget to also update the backup BIOS as it will read that one if the main fails.
Good luck.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB