Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X-UD4H Sys fans not getting enough inital voltage to start

Not sure what to call it. I just got the mobo with a i5-4670k and a Rosewill FORTRESS-550 550W. I moved them into my Cooler Master HAF 932 and it seems some fans do not get enough voltage to get spinning. They just seem to pulse and never get going. If I give them a push then they stay running. BIOS is running F7 and I'm in Win7 64bit.  Specifically the top and side fans which are 230mm. 

I loaded the App Center and Easy Tune and ran a calibrate. Under the advanced fan setup gave them a boost so even the lowest temps are in duty cycles that the calibration says will run them at not zero, hit apply and set the app preferences to retain smart fan settings after reboot.

The system is in my basement so it's a bit cold and I'm not pushing the CPU yet so while I'm typing this the CPU sits at 16C according to app center.

Not sure what else to do and if it's bad for the fans to be pulsing like that. I'd prefer to run them off the mobo because my last config I had some of them directly of the PSU which makes a little more noise since they're going top speed.

Side note, the intake fan of the Noctua (on CPU OPT) doesn't spin at all and I've set smart fan as above where it should always be in a range where it runs.  I have yet to try flipping the fans to different headers.

Thanks for reading.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Z87X-UD4H Sys fans not getting enough inital voltage to start
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:29:46 pm »
I would unplug all the fans but the CPU fan. Then try one a time. Maybe one is bad and shorting out the rest.

One other thing to look at is I know this might be a pain. But I would pull the board to make sure you don't have extra stand off in the wrong place.

If you are using the one plug right next too Debug LED. Just make sure that one is plug in right too.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:38:32 am »
Hi,
Another thing that you might want to take into consideration is that the SYS_FAN2 only runs at half power by design. So don't think that you have a fault with this header when testing.
I would agree with dmdilks that it is quite possible that you have a short somewhere.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:45:31 am »
Hi,
Another thing that you might want to take into consideration is that the SYS_FAN2 only runs at half power by design. So don't think that you have a fault with this header when testing.
I would agree with dmdilks that it is quite possible that you have a short somewhere.

Thanks for the input guys.

Let me be a little more specific as I think I confused you a little.

The CPU OPT fan that's plugged in, when I say it doesn't turn I meant it doesn't pulse like the 2 system fans do.  If I reach in and just tap the fan it starts spinning.  That's not a short, if anything maybe it's a dead spot in the fan coil.

The bit about sys2 running half power is interesting which explains why the duty cycle % from 30 down is zero.  I've got the advanced graph starting at zero at 60% so the fan really should be running.  With these they do the pulsing I mentioned but again just tap it and it kicks over and stays spinning.  The one in sys2 is the top case, sys3 is the side.  Since I wrote this I've just let them be to observe and sys2 actually manages to finally get running while sys3 is still having a time getting going.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:21:45 pm »
There is still something set wrong or they are not getting enough power. In all the years building computers I have never had a case fan pulse.

They work or they don't work. Now I have had CPU fans do that. When you turn on the computer the heatsink is cold. Till temp comes up.

The system is in my basement so it's a bit cold and I'm not pushing the CPU yet so while I'm typing this the CPU sits at 16C according to app center.

Now with these newer boards it could be that if the temps down there in the basement. It could be acting just like the CPU fan.

With the computer in the basement it is saying it is already cold and we don't need to start. How do you have yours setup?

Normal Allows the fan to run at different speeds according to the system temperature. You can adjust
the fan speed with EasyTune based on your system requirements. (Default)

Silent Allows the fan to run at slow speeds.

Manual Allows you to control the fan speed under the Slope PWM item.

Disabled Allows the fan to run at full speeds.

One thing you can try run them in the Disable mode just to see if they run normal.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.