Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-J1900N-D3V problems

Nolli

GA-J1900N-D3V problems
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:20:03 am »
Hi

I'm having trouble with this motherboard+cpu combo:
It won't boot without monitor. If I have no monitor connected it just gives 4 beeps. With monitor connected everything works fine. After POST I can remove monitor cable and everything is good.
I feel like it is BIOS fault, as the system is working fine after I boot it up. This system is going to be my customers FileServer running Linux so it rarely needs rebooting, but there won't always be spare monitor around when rebooting occurs.

Am I missing something from BIOS settings, or is this F2 ( http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4918&dl=1#bios ) BIOS also broken?
I say also broken since F1 BIOS that it came with was completely BROKEN, but that's a whole another story. Literaly took me hours to get it flashed. Refused to boot on any device, or well it did boot but screen went black immediately. And no, system did not run correctly on the background as I tried flashing it while blinded :)

Taking in any suggestions or new BETA bios :)

Complete systems specs:
- GA-J1900N-D3V
- 8 Gb RAM (2x KVR16LS/4)
- 4x 4 Tb WD RED HDD
- PCI RAID Card
- Chieftec case + 500W Corsair power
- Dummy Kingston SSD which I use for booting..

Oh almost forgot, this is a secondary problem. I have to use one HDD(SSD) on builtin SATA-port as I can't get this to boot from the PCI-RAID card. I have gone through pretty much every setting in BIOS, but it just won't boot from it.

Cheers!

- Nolli

Re: GA-J1900N-D3V problems
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:13:12 pm »
Hi Nolli,

Can you tell me how you succeeded to flash to F2.

Also fighting this board for hours, but without any luck to get a windows booted to flash it.

Regards,
Rob.

Nolli

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:37:50 pm »
Oh sorry should've said it on the first post.
I was only able to boot from FAT16 FreeDOS USB stick and flash it from there. Not FAT32, not NTFS, FAT16. And use max 2 Gb USB stick, or maybe 4 Gb might work also, but any bigger than that it will just loop POST.

lucks

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:27:03 am »
Let me share my experience.

I also had massive problems with flashing F2 BIOS. Disabling all new-gen features like UEFI and C-states helped in my case. I also had to boot FreeBIOS only with HIMEM, without EMM386, otherwise it was rebooting after running flash program.

Problems started when I was trying to use external monitor connected to DVI port. As you said, with no monitor it was beeping but nevertheless was booting (at least for me). Monitor connected to DVI was ignored completely, so I changed one of BIOS options and allowed video to be initialized by UEFI (UEFI first if I recall correctly). After that change it beeped 4 or 5 times and hanged. I power-cycled board and since then it was completely bricked. Battery removal, BIOS reset jumper, memory replacement - nothing helped...

I'm convinced it BIOS bug, let's hope GigaByte will fix that soon.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 05:04:40 am »
Hi every body

yesterday i got my GA-J1900N-D3V.

as most of you said , flashing Bios was problem but done.

in Windows 8.1 it was OK.

for Windows 7 , it is not a good experience .

especially USB 3 drivers , which is freezing the system , reset , then usb devices not working.

the last time ( half an our before ) , reset, then , a message appeared

Main BIOS is corrupted  and will be rewritten from the back up one......

it was reverted to F1.

again i flashed it with F2.

and now Windows 7 Ultimate x64 has all drivers installed and functioning. ( so far ?! )

thanks
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:06:45 am by shukree »

kinjin

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:59:22 am »
I just got this board and I'm having many problems with it as well. I can't get it to boot from any drive, it always goes into the efi shell. I've tried usb drives, sata drives, and cd-rom drives and nothing. I don't know what to do.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:37:45 am »
I just got this board and I'm having many problems with it as well. I can't get it to boot from any drive, it always goes into the efi shell. I've tried usb drives, sata drives, and cd-rom drives and nothing. I don't know what to do.

hi kinjin

first of all it is better to flash your BIOS to latest one ( F2 ) even though it is not perfect.
thanks to this thread  ( http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6276#p34579 ) for changing from UEFI to legacy

user :sku1d  wrote
BIOS settings

" If you got rev. 1.0: Do a BIOS update. The current version is called F2 and can be found here
    Enter the BIOS by hitting either DEL or ESC
    Activate the CSM-Support under Advanced -> CSM Configuration. This stands for "Compatibility Support Module" and will enable traditional boot modes other than UEFI, which implies having a GPT boot sector and a boot partition.

Code: Select all
        CSM Support [enabled]
        Boot Option Filter  [legacy only]
        Network [do not launch]
        Storage [legacy only]
        Video [UEFI first] // take care for this one as it might disable your graphics card and leaves you with a blank screen!
        Other PCI Devices [legacy only]

Go to Advanced -> USB Configuration and disable XHCI&EHCI Hand-Off as it seems to be a faulty implementation and causes a kernel crash at boot time

Code: Select all
        Legacy USB Support [Enabled]
        USB3.0 Support [Enabled]
        XHCI Hand-Off [Disabled]
        EHCI Hand-Off [Disabled]
        USB Mass Storage Driver Support [Enabled]

Go to Save & Exit and choose Save Changes and Reset and reenter the BIOS so that your 'legacy' devices are getting displayed in the boot menu

Insert your Windows DVD or USB drive
Go to Boot -> Hard Drive BBS Priorities and select Windows DVD or USB drive to be Boot Option #1 and your internal disk where you want to install it to be Boot Option #2
Go back to the normal Boot menu by hitting ESC and order the Boot Option List again
Save changes and reboot as before / have fun."

now in my experience ,after Windows (7,8.1.server 2012 ) copied and first reboot you should enter BIOS and change   Boot Option #1  to your hard drive

still it is a buggy BIOS no option ( in LEGACY ) to have MultiBoot in F12 Boot menu.

good luck  shukree

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 04:23:57 pm »
hi every body

any body notice the discrepancy in networking behavior in this motherboard.

in Windows 8.1 copying from j1900 to other network =20-30 MB/sec

in Windows 7 copying from j1900 to other network =50-57 MB/sec

in WinPE5     copying from j1900 to other network =90-100 MB/sec

even i put another D-Link  PCI  netork card, same result ?!

later on i will check with Intel PCI Network Card
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:26:40 pm by shukree »

lucks

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »
OK, I got mine board replaced today. Obviously with F1 BIOS and this time playing with C-stated didn't help. Surprisingly limiting CPU cores to 1 did... If anyone experience flashing problems like hangs and reboots - I recommend to try it first. In my case it worked with any USB stick - I've tested few 4GB and 8GB.

Obviously enabling CSM is mandatory as well, as shukree instructed.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 12:38:57 am »
hi every body

any body notice the discrepancy in networking behavior in this motherboard.

in Windows 8.1 copying from j1900 to other network =20-30 MB/sec

in Windows 7 copying from j1900 to other network =50-57 MB/sec

in WinPE5     copying from j1900 to other network =90-100 MB/sec

even i put another D-Link  PCI  netork card, same result ?!

later on i will check with Intel PCI Network Card

Intel Pro /1000 giving almost the same result
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:40:37 am by shukree »

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 02:49:22 am »
hi again
i did some more tests about networking.
i installed Windows 7 x64 , without any drivers.
Intel Pro LAN card recognized by Windows.
copying from other network to j1900 was very speedy around 80-90 MB/sec

installing only Realtek LAN drivers and the speed was >100 MB/sec

that means Intel is the problem with their drivers especially ,chipset drivers. 

Nolli

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:06:45 am »
I was talking with couple guys from Gigabyte nordic yesterday and they told me that at Gigabyte is working on new BIOS for GA-J1800N-D2H which have had some type of problems as this J1900N board.
 They didn't know what the situation is on this J1900 board, but I/We can only hope new BIOS is coming for this board also :)

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 03:39:09 pm »
hi again
i did some more tests about networking.
i installed Windows 7 x64 , without any drivers.
Intel Pro LAN card recognized by Windows.
copying from other network to j1900 was very speedy around 80-90 MB/sec

installing only Realtek LAN drivers and the speed was >100 MB/sec

that means Intel is the problem with their drivers especially ,chipset drivers.  

I did a thorough test again about networking,

and i was wrong about telling that "that means Intel is the problem with their drivers especially ,chipset drivers."

i am sorry for that.

i discover that Symantec Endpoint Protection's (Firewall and Network Intrusion Prevention ) are responsible for slow networking.

when i disable these two i will get almost full Gbit/sec speed.

i am using Symantec AV for more than 17 years on tens of PCs and Laptops On ( Windows 95,98 ,Mellinium till Win 81 and server 2012 ),

and this is the first time i notice this experience.

it was OK in Windows Defender
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:44:40 pm by shukree »

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 01:59:03 am »
Hi,

I am trying to update to the F2 BIOS.

My keyboard and mouse are USB and I am trying to boot a USB drive with FreeDOS/Efiflash.exe/J190ND3V.F2.

While I was initially able to enter the BIOS by pressing the <delete> key during boot, after adjusting some BIOS values, I find that this no longer works.

OK, so I must have selected a USB configuration that doesn't allow the USB keyboard to work, right?  But even when I clear the CMOS, the keyboard no longer seems to work (wish I had one of my old PS2 keyboards, but I don't).

It appears that some configuration information is retained even after clearing CMOS (I didn't think this was possible, but...)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve 

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 09:14:00 pm »
Another problem on F3 bios is, dont work DVI until boot system. Its meen if you dont have VGA monitor you can't modify bios, because you don't see it.