Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X-UD4H now working fine with 4 RAM sticks. Yay!!

Z87X-UD4H now working fine with 4 RAM sticks. Yay!!
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:26:35 pm »
I re-posted this from my response in another topic:

I also had the dreaded issues with 4 sticks of RAM.

My new system ran flawlessly with 2x4GB G.Skill RAM Ripjaws by themselves

I first ran this PC3-2400 Ripjaws X  8GB set by itself for 24hrs using XMP profile and adjusted the voltage to 1.66Volts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231666

When I added my second set of G.Skill PC3-2400 Sniper with the same wait states but different model
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231667
The system would power on, do some post codes, shut off, power back on, do post codes and then off again forever until I killed the power

I did finally get all 4 to work but I had to start with the pair of 4GB G.Skill Sniper PC3-2400 first in the A slots
I turned off XMP profile and did a manual setup with the wait states as specified at 11-13-13-31 and left the others on auto
I turned off the CPU energy saving features so that my i3-4330 is locked at a constant 3.5GHz
I used the standard memory speed adjustments then dialed in at PC3-1600 with the wait states manually at 11-13-13-31, the rest on Auto
I went into the CPU voltage settings and added  0.20 volts to the following and hit apply:
-System agent voltage
-CPU IO Analog
-CPU IO Digital

I saved and turned the power off, waited for the P/S to discharge and added the Ripjaws 2x4GB modules in the B channel
The system booted this time finally!!!!
I kept checking my voltage monitoring and wait states to make sure I was reading 1.66volts and my wait states were sticking.
I raised the memory multiplier to first get 1866 saved and rebooted.
To my surprise it started and I went into the BIOS to make sure voltages and wait states were sticking again.
I raised all 4 sticks to 2133MHz and at  11-13-13-31 times, 1.66 volts (rated 1.65)
Saved and restarted, it went into the BIOS again. Everything looked good.

Right now I am stability testing. I am going to run all 4 modules (16GB) all night on Memtest86+ 4.20 all night at 2133MHz
Its 1:30AM and I don't have any errors yet after only 35minutes.
I will check this in the morning.
I may just leave them at 2133 and call it quits at this point. The difference between 2133 and their default rates of 2400 is pretty much bragging rights.

OH, I forgot to mention I am using the F8 BIOS. I cannot seem to get the F9 to install with either @BIOS in Win 8.1 or off the USB stick flashing from inside the BIOS GUI

The system made it through 9 hours of MemTest86+ with no errors
I am going to leave the BIOS at version F8 and the memory speed at 2133MHz, it ain't broke so I will stop fixing it.

I have been using the new system to install at least a dozen applications with no issues

Thanks to many forum members post which gave me some things to try. Thanks!!!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Z87X-UD4H now working fine with 4 RAM sticks. Yay!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:37:24 pm »
Pleased you got it working and that you're happy with it.

For future reference, if you want to update to the F9 BIOS you will need to use the EFI.Flash tool that comes with the F9 BIOS download from Gigabyte. Check the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.msg89013.html#msg89013 for the process for using this utility.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.