Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem running Win 7 64 on x58 board.

Problem running Win 7 64 on x58 board.
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:46:40 pm »
Hi,

I have been running my PC with Windows XP 32bit for the last 4 years with no problems.

I am trying to install Windows 7 Pro 64bit and I am having problems, the OS installs fine up to booting into it after install and shows the windows loading screen for a few seconds then the screen goes blank and I can move and see the mouse cursor on the blank black screen.

This is as far as it goes. I can reinstall Windows XP 32 no problem at all after this. Can you tell me if my motherboard can run Windows 7 64, and if I need to install any drivers or bios to make the X58 board compatible.

I've run the boot repair on the Windows disc and no faults are found, according to that it should be booting up fine.

I have a ex58-UD4P and a i7 920 with 6gb of Corsair XMS ram, with 16gb upgrade ready to go once I can run a 64bit Windows on it.

Many thanks for any help.

Darren
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:19:07 pm by Rockafella808 »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Problem running Win 7 64 on x58 board.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:28:29 pm »
Hi Darren,

you should be able to run Windows 7 64 bit on this motherboard. Gigabyte have drivers here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2986#dl for it.

You don't say which BIOS version your motherboard is running but it might be worthwhile checking and possibly updating it to a newer version if needed.

Are you trying to install in IDE, AHCI or RAID?

What other components (apart from CPU and Motherboard) are you using?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:17:15 pm »
Thanks Absic,

I'm running F13 Bios, I was trying to install AHCI on a Samsung SSD, but I've tried installing it on a normal Samsung HDD that XP was on in IDE and it does exactly the same.

I can install XP no problem which is 32bit.

I have Corsair ram as mentioned before and a Sapphire 3870 Ultimate GPU, 600w Corsair PSU.

Windows 7 64bit installs right up until the first time it goes into the OS after install, is says "Windows is starting" then screen goes black and the mouse cursor is available on the screen.

In the manual for the Mobo it says XP/Vista, but I don't think Win 7 was out at time of print, are there any driver/chipset or Bios updates needed to run Win 7 64?

The GPU has 32 and 64bit drivers for it, could this be the Problem?, I've only ever used it with XP 32bit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:22:56 pm by Rockafella808 »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:57:08 pm »
I have run win 7 on 6 or 7 of the x58 boards. All I can say is try another DVD drive or different video card.

I have a x58 board that has 4 OS on it xp, vista, 7, & 8 all 64bit.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 06:09:56 am »
Graphic Drivers shouldn't be an issue as the Win 7 install should use generic drivers to get you started and you say the install goes OK until the system restarts at the end of the process.

I know this is frustrating but, have you tried running the Windows 7 upgrade advisor: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2986#dl to see if that highlights any issues with your hardware? You can run this in XP and it should notify you of any possible problems.

You can try updating the BIOS to one of the newer versions (both beta I'm afraid) available from the link I posted in my previous reply. Don't worry about the fact that they are beta versions as you can always go back to the F13 if things aren't improved.

Have you tried installing Windows 7 with only 4 gig of RAM installed? Sometimes this can help overcome install problems and the extra RAM can be installed once the OS is up and running.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 12:31:21 pm »
The x58 computer with the four OS on it has the 1st bios on it F1. It don't upgrade bios.

The only reason I said what I did was because when windows does start and gets to where it is having a problem.

Is where it starts loading drivers and maybe the card doesn't like the driver windows is using.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:48:40 pm »
Thanks for your help guys, I've sorted it, found this on another site and it worked.

"Relevant answer is here:

Firstly, if you have it set in the bios to boot from the cd/dvdrom it can cause installation to loop after the first reboot, as it restarts installation and loops - to fix you remove the install dvd during reboot, or go into the bios and reset it to boot from the hard drive first - so you need to remove the dvd while its rebooting quickly - you have 15 secs to do so before it restarts if you don't hit a key, or go into the bios, and reset it to boot from the hard drive.

You have to be watching the last part of the install and be ready to pull the DVD out.  I also hit the Del key so I could reset the BIOS Boot setting. For all other Win OS I have set CD/DVD to be the first boot device followed by the HD, but of course the Geniuses at Microsoft had to screw this up and create headaches for some of us.  Logic and prior experience will not have helped you figure this one out. Keep in mind that it is helpful to assume that MS has done something really dumb. Then you will be on the right track.

I consider this a first class BUG. Will Microsoft pay me for the 8 hrs I wasted trying to solve this ridiculous stupidity? I doubt it.

So, it seems to me that when you install Win7 you must not have DVD as your first BOOT device, and simply hit F12 (on most hardware) in order to get an instant window asking for Boot Device Choice.

What a PITA.

I hope this helps others who have the same problem."

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:16:48 pm »
Pleased you got it sorted and, to be honest, I hadn't given this aspect of the install process a thought, although I have experienced it myself. You are quite right though, use F12 (or appropriate F key) to bring up the boot menu and leave the main Drive as primary (1st) BOOT device.

I should point out that the same thing can also happen if you install from a USB Pendrive.

Anyway hopefully no more issues for you now and you can get back to enjoying you PC.

dmdilks

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 08:56:38 pm »
Like absic glad you got it working. But this is the first time I have see that one. I have install windows 7 on over a 100 computers and have never ever had that happen.

But there is always a first for windows. All most 99% of the time once it gets to the point where is starting to install I walk away.

I will come back in like 30 mins and check on it. It is done and already to put the name in. I have always left on the DVD/CD.

I do have to ask how you have all your drives set and on what sata ports?