Official GIGABYTE Forum

F2A88XN Wifi BIOS Identification/Upgrade

F2A88XN Wifi BIOS Identification/Upgrade
« on: April 23, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »
Hello, Just bought a new F2A88XN Wifi board, revision 3. I am going to be building with an FM2+ CPU however, I read a few posts elsewhere that indicate the BIOS needs to be updated with an FM2 CPU in order to use the FM2+. Is there a way to identify the BIOS version without starting up the computer? If not, is it OK for me to try and install the FM2+ CPU without knowing the BIOS version...as in, will anything bad happen if the BIOS is older and the FM2+ CPU is not supported? I know it won't post...but will anything blow up or get broken?

Thank You,
Derek

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: F2A88XN Wifi BIOS Identification/Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:11:06 pm »
Hi Derek,

No, nothing bad will happen to your hardware the PC just won't start up if the CPU isn't supported. Had this happen to me on many occasions and the first time it did confuse me but, after dropping in an older CPU to update the BIOS, everything was fine. Now I just build the damn things and don't worry about such issues and I always keep hold of old, upgraded parts, for just such an eventuality.  ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.