Official GIGABYTE Forum

Unable to adjust fan speed

Unable to adjust fan speed
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:07:32 pm »
I know this has probably been covered a thousand times but I wanted to ask before moving on to other options. I just bought a GA-78LMT-USB3 for my office system. The CPU fan runs at 100% and is noticeably loud in the office.I have tried many times to adjust it using easy tune 6 with no luck.I set it to advanced but it never seems to retain the selected settings. Is easy tune a waste of time? Is there a program that will work. I am able to see the fan speed and related readings in ET6, but the fan speed never changes. Before I replace the fan, have I exhausted my options? I have never seen something so basic be so difficult, and I've built dozens of systems. Any help is appreciated in advance...

Re: Unable to adjust fan speed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:56:23 pm »
I don't have that particular board, but maybe a few tips:

- Are you sure you connected the CPU fan to the CPU_FAN header, and not to the SYS_FAN header?
- Does your BIOS have a CPU Fan Speed Control option? Are those options (Silent, Slope PWM) working?
- Did you use the correct version of EasyTune for your board? If I recall correctly, there are different versions for different (AMD/Intel?) boards.
- Are you running EasyTune as Administrator? I have had a lot of problems running EasyTune as a regular user. Especially auto-starting ET6 without Administrator privileges is a hassle. It definitely needs admin privileges to be able to access the fan speed sensors.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:58:07 pm by sam2014 »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 11:15:17 pm »
In the bios you find it here:

PC Health Status

CPU Smart FAN Control
Enables or disables the CPU fan speed control function. Enabled allows the CPU fan to run at different
speed according to the CPU temperature. You can adjust the fan speed with EasyTune based on system
requirements. If disabled, CPU fan runs at full speed. (Default: Enabled)
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 07:45:33 pm »
Ok , trying to mess around with this yet again. I have the settings in the bios as they should be (advanced)to allow variable speeds. ET6 just ran an update through the program itself so I am assuming it is the most current version. I definitely have it plugged into the right header on the board as its the only on close enough for the fan cables to reach. The system fan header is on the opposite (front) side of the board and doesn't come close to reaching. Seems like a really poor layout. Regardless, bios setting are correct, it's plugged in correctly, and it should be the most current version. One thing of note that is obviously not right, when I change the setting in windows ET6 from default to advanced, it will not retain the selection. It appears to at the time, but if I close it or reboot, it reverts right back to default. I suspect that somewhere in there is the problem. Any suggestions as to why that might be happening? I am really surprised how much time I've had to waste to try and get something so routine to work. Thanks to those who have offered suggestions, but I don't know what else to look at.