Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3: New Build. Powers up for a couple seconds, shuts down (no POST)

BradA

I am having the exact same problem noted in http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=l8dhkl8bsa128k8sqg8ekua2c5&topic=6264.15

Though it warned me against replying to an old topic, so I am opening a new one.  I bought the components a long time back, so I am almost certain it is out of warranty.  I have a 500W power supply and it will startup properly if I short the pins that tell it to do so.  The systems starts for a couple seconds and stops long before any beeps happen and no POST is shown.  I am running with 2 memory sticks (Corsair) and a dedicated XFX graphics card.  I currently have the battery pulled to see if it can reset.

I will enter all the information if that has value, but I wanted to see if I have any point in doing so at this point.  Or should I just trash it and try with something else since it is long past normal warranty periods?  The system has not been used.  It just got set aside almost built until a week or so ago.

The odd thing is that it did startup to the BIOS screen once.  I stopped it, packed everything in the case and then it was back to this weird behavior.

Can I do anything or did I wait too long?

EDIT:  I only have the power supply (Silverstone SST-ST50f-p) connected to the video card and both motherboard connections to try and get to the BIOS menus.  I should probably try the onboard video to remove one more thing.  I have not hooked anything in other than the case (Silverstone HTPC GDO6B) to simplify what is trying to start up.  It should fail with the lack of a boot drive, but it doesn't get that far.  Could I boot without memory at all?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:44:14 pm by BradA »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
You can try what smashly is posting and it might kick in the backup bios. http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,12165.0.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:19:53 am by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

This gave me the knowledge to tell a friend.

BradA

You can try what smashly is posting and it might kick in the backup bios. http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,12165.0.html

I will try that, thanks.  I tried a new PSU and it will boot with only one memory chip in, seeming to like only one of the pair I had.  It cycles before properly starting even then.  Really annoying as I replaced everything but the motherboard, CPU and cooler.  I am not impressed to far and I suspect I should just scrap it and start with something more current.

EDIT:  Those steps didn't help, it still repeatedly tries to startup, but it does seem to eventually startup if I leave it alone long enough.  I am not sure how to tell what the current BIOS version is, but I can get to either the BIOS setup or Flash utility loader so I will try patching it to the latest BIOS.  I have not tweaked any values and just used it as it was.

EDIT2:  It is Rev 1.3.  Manual tells where to look.  I am going to try and boot with both memory sticks in later and see if it will finally startup.  I briefly got the boot screen for a short bit earlier, but then it went back into the reboot cycle.  Annoying.

How do I know what revision I have?  Is it 1.0 if it is not labeled?  Where is the label?  Nothing near the name that I could see.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:59:20 am by BradA »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Rev is listed lower left hand corner of the board right next to the mounting screw hole.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW