Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1 Sniper Z87: Brief fan flash but won't boot

G1 Sniper Z87: Brief fan flash but won't boot
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:55:59 am »
Hi all,

This is my second board but let me get into why I'm on my second board. The first board I purchased was going into my new build. An Intel 4770k, 32 gb (4x8 gb sticks) of Gskill 2400 RAM, EVGA Geforce GTX 780ti, Corsair H100i cooler, and a few HDD's. Well, I got the whole build put together and booted and was greeted with the bios. I hit delete and entered the bios and started to poke around but did not change anything. After about 5 minutes of running the machine powers down and starts to try to power cycle itself a few times. I've overclocked in the past so I've seen this kind of thing before. I stopped the machine after the 5th time it tried to power cycle and let it sit for a few hours. Came back and it wouldn't start at all. So I started the process of testing various things. I took out all but one of the ram sticks, that didn't work. I tried all 4 of my ram sticks in the 1 slot, that didn't work. I tried a second power supply from my previous build, that didn't work. So I took out everything but the CPU, a single stick of ram, and the PSU. Still nothing. Just a brief flash of activity before it would just shut down. Did some reading online and all signs were pointing to a board that just went bad on me.

Did the RMA dance with Newegg and opted for a refund so I could just go ahead and purchase a new board so it could get to me faster. My new board arrived today, I plugged it in with just the CPU, a single stick of RAM, and the PSU and this time it wouldn't start from the get go. Just the brief flash of power then nothing. At this point I thought it was weird that it quit so soon so I did the breadboard test and set that all up thinking it might be a short in my case. Nope, still nothing. I tried all my ram sticks again, nothing. I tried my other PSU, nothing. I was so angry by now that I put my old computer's Mobo back together with my old CPU and RAM to see if my PSU was just bad. My old computer started right up with no problems.

I don't' know what do do. I'm communicating with Gigabyte's support through Newegg but I don't know if I want another sniper board at this point. Do you think it could be the CPU? There's no visible damage on it anywhere but I know that doesn't mean much.

Looking to the community for help, see if anyone else is having the same issues as me before I go forward.

Thanks!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: G1 Sniper Z87: Brief fan flash but won't boot
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 01:52:35 am »
I feel for you and I have always said you cross your fingers every time you build a computer. Try and take out the CPU and see if it will boot.

What I'm saying is all boards will boot with out CPU, but it will boot for a few seconds and than reboot. I could be the CPU.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: G1 Sniper Z87: Brief fan flash but won't boot
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:19:30 am »
Well good news. Based on what you said, i tested the mobo and it did indeed stay on for a few seconds before turning off. So, I went to Micro Center and bought a new CPU like you suggested and it was totally the problem the whole time. Now I get to keep my green mobo like I wanted. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure I know how to trouble shoot every part of a compute now after this build.