Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EP45C-DS3 and new CPU. question

ea3ot

GA-EP45C-DS3 and new CPU. question
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:21:30 pm »
Im using an Intel core Quad Q9300  with 4 G DDR3 1600 and Bios version  F1. and all works very well,, I need to know if I can use a Q9650, 3.0 Ghz   with the F1  bios  beacouse I guess I need F3. I have also the oportunity toi get a QX9650 and it seems with ths CPU I dont need F3 and continue with my F1, Im afraid to update the Bios, I never in my life I have did that job.....and I dont want to do  something wrong , flasing it. Thanks fot the help.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:52:58 pm by ea3ot »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-EP45C-DS3 and new CPU. question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »
Hi there, you will need to flash bios to use the Q9650 according to the CPU list for your mobo.

Flashing bios isn't really that difficult and if you follow the correct procedures it is quite painless.

It is made much easier now thanks to the use of USB and the Qflash utility. Download the latest BIOS for your mobo (if in doubt do not download the BETA version) for your board it is F5. Here's the link: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2870

It comes down as a zip file which you need to extract and then place the folder onto a USB pendrive.

Reboot your PC and, while it is starting up press the END key on your keyboard, this will take you straight to the Qflash utility.

Locate the folder on the USB stick and follow the on screen instructions to flash bios.

Once Bios has been flashed reboot the system and enter bios to load Optimised Defaults. Reboot and you will see that your BIOS is now updated.

If you check in the Mobo manual from page 74 to 76 you will find instructions there.

I would not recommend using the @bios utility

Hope this helps.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

ea3ot

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:45:24 pm »
Tanks Absic. just a question, I must upgrade also for the Qx9650? It seems this micro goes ok with the F1. What you think about?. I ask that beacouse I have the oportunity to buy at low cost the QX9650 or even the q9650 and I must to take a decision max. tomorrow,. Keep well and thanks
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:48:34 pm by ea3ot »

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:49:21 pm »
Tanks Absic. just a question, I must upgrade also for the Qx9650? It seems this micro goes ok with the F1. What you think about?. I ask that beacouse I have the oportunity to buy at low cost the QX9650 and even the q9650 and I must to take a decisiom max. tommorrow,. Keep well and thanks

Mate  I agree with the gentleman above ,NEVER EVER flash a BIOS using a windows UTIL, NO MATTER HOW GOOD the manufactutrer says thier particlar flash proggy is. In windows there are two many backgrounds task and variables

Either use gigabytes flash within the BIOS util or flash in MSDOS to be on the safe sIDE OF Things!

gilgamesh
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 04:52:23 pm »
The QX9650 does not need a bios update and should work fine as you are.

However as bios for your board is now at F5 (F6a is a beta version) and checking what the bios updates are for, I would bite the bullet and re-flash bios to F5. I have also noted that the bios for your board is actually quite old now (F5 was released in December 2008) so it should be quite solid.

I know it seems a bit daunting when you first flash bios but if you follow the steps it is actually quite easy, (the hardest part is finding the file on your USB stick).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:57:58 pm by absic115 »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

ea3ot

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 04:55:59 pm »
The QX9650 does not need a bios update and should work fine as you are.

However as bios for your board is now at F5 (F6a is a beta version) and checking what the bios updates are for, I would bite the bullet and re-flash bios to F5.

I know it seems a bit daunting when you first flash bios but if you follow the steps it is actually quite easy, (the hardest part is finding the file on your USB stick).

If something fails on the process  will the PC boot with  the second bios?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:01:06 pm »
Yes, the purpose of Dual bios is to make sure the system will still boot and it cannot be updated by the user so, if there is a problem it will revert to the bios that came with the board.

ea3ot

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:09:47 pm »
Yes, the purpose of Dual bios is to make sure the system will still boot and it cannot be updated by the user so, if there is a problem it will revert to the bios that came with the board.

Thanks I understand, Say a little pray for  me ... Im going to do  that with a penndrive, I have the file downloaded,

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 05:11:58 pm »
 ;) no worries just take it one step at a time and it will be fine. Let us know how you get on!