Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R Stuck in Turbo mode - won't boot without USB stick

Tom N.

Good morning,

I have the GA-X58A-UD3R in a new build with an i7 920 and 12GB of Corsair RAM. everything worked great for a few days then I rebooted the computer and I got a 'Voltage error' at the 1st CMOS screen.
 I restarted and it locks at the 1st CMOS screen (But no error message). I was able to reset the CMOS by taking out the battery (Pushing the clear CMOS button wouldn't do it) and get into BIOS setup but no matter how I configure the BIOS (Always stock settings for i7 920) the computer boots in 'Turbo mode' (2.8Ghz instead of 2.66) I disabled Turbo mode and finally got 2.66Ghz on the 1st screen but it still freezes after the CPU read!

I've tried flashing to the F4 BIOS and back to F3, and removing all the RAM except one stick but I can't get rid of this freeze at the 1st screen or being stuck in turbo mode.

Now here is the weird part, I accidentally discovered (Leaving the USB stick in from a BIOS flash) that the computer will boot fine if there is a USB stick connected during boot! I get into windows 7 x64 fine and everything is running great but without the USB stick it freezes at the 1st CMOS screen!

Very strange behavior indeed.

Perhaps someone has an idea of whats going on?

Thanks,

ianken

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R Stuck in Turbo mode - won't boot without USB stick
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:35:07 am »
I have a somewhat related issue: if I try to boot with my Sidewinder X8 gaming mouse plugged into the USB ports on the back of the board it will hang/reboot endlessly. If it is plugged into the hub built into my monitor it boots fine. Most times when it recovers from this I get the "your last boot failed due to voltage..." popup and need to drop into the BIOS.

Instead of 3x USB power maybe they need 3x usb reliability. These kinds of issues are just silly.

Sorry, I don't have a solution for you. I just had to rant.