Official GIGABYTE Forum

z87m d3h, can i disable a pci slot in bios?

« on: May 02, 2014, 03:00:20 pm »

I have a graphics card in a pci slot; normally i do not use the graphics card and use only the onboard, and so I have my settings to select on board graphics first.

However, in booting, the OS detects that both the onboard and the graphics card are present, and it initialises both of them, and this adds about an extra minute to my booting time.  What I want to do, is to effectively disable the graphics card slot when desired in the bios, and only enable it when I want to use the graphics card - this hence will save me from having to open my box and take out and put back my graphics card numerous times.

analogy: i am able to enable and disable sata devices in bios, and wondering if i can do the same for pci devices.  but have not found where to do this.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:02:09 pm by rozriot »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: z87m d3h, can i disable a pci slot in bios?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 05:54:30 pm »
You can find it under Peripherals

Init Display First
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card, PCI Express graphics
card or the onboard graphics.
IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)
PCIe 2 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX4 slot as the first display.
PCI Sets the graphics card on the PCI slot as the first display.

Internal Graphics
Enables or disables the onboard graphics function. (Default: Enabled)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:56:04 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: z87m d3h, can i disable a pci slot in bios?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:33:36 pm »
Thanks for taking time to answer

Unfortunately that does not answer the question.  I already know how to disable the internal graphics, it is the PCI slot I want to disable, and setting it to find the internal graphics first does not disable the PCI, it just results in both the internal graphics and and graphics sitting in the PCI slots being initialised by the OS.

What I was looking for was the power to disable the PCI slots without having to take out whatever cards were in them.

I guess the answer is no it is not possible to disable the PCI slots from the bios