Official GIGABYTE Forum

some newbie questions

some newbie questions
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:34:29 pm »
Hello everybody, since i just switched mobo brands im new to the forum, and since my last mobo was kinda crap, i never tried to OC none of my components, but now that got my gigabyte mobo (and since i know they are sweet at OCing) i wanted to know if my components worth the OC or i better left em alone.

So here it is:

Intel e8400
Sapphire Radeon 4850HD 512Mb (got it in the 1st week of release, so old but still loving it :P)
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 / 800MHz / Fatal1ty Edition / EPP-Ready / 4GB Dual Channel
Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H

ok i know those are pretty lame/cheap specs but i live in a 3rd world country so give em a break :P

Anyway there they are, is the OCing worth it? am i going to be able to notice any gains in FPS, responsiveness or whatever or their stocks are pretty much all theese are gonna ever give?

Thanks in advance for any reply or help.

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: some newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 08:10:05 pm »
In all honesty think you may struggle to overclock a massive ammount on that board. I think the P41 chipset has some form of FSB limitation around 340/350mhz. If I am correct then this will limit your overclock to 3.15mhz~ and seeing as your CPU is 3Ghz at stock, is almost not worth it

If you can possibly afford a EP45-UD3P (should be fairly cheap now) you will get a nice tasty overclock out of it (aslong as your cooling is good enough)
See here http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,615.0.html
There's no place like ::1

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
Re: some newbie questions
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:55:34 am »
In all honesty think you may struggle to overclock a massive ammount on that board. I think the P41 chipset has some form of FSB limitation around 340/350mhz. If I am correct then this will limit your overclock to 3.15mhz~ and seeing as your CPU is 3Ghz at stock, is almost not worth it

If you can possibly afford a EP45-UD3P (should be fairly cheap now) you will get a nice tasty overclock out of it (aslong as your cooling is good enough)
See here http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,615.0.html

I second oggies statement, however you should be able to overclock slightly with the p41 board. If iwere you (as you sound like a novice overclocker) use this P41 board as a learning tool, then when you know what it is all about THEN go got a gigabyte P45. When it comes to overclocking, patience is key, taking baby step[s along the way eventually yeilds better results.

gilgamesh
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news