Official GIGABYTE Forum

My Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2 Ghz with HT on and off ...

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
Re: My Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2 Ghz with HT on and off ...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 11:50:42 am »
1.396 is completely fine, i were running prime for the last two days to test and I have no problems.

My I7 needs just under 1.4v for a stable 4.2 Ghz, but I have enough cooling to handle it, and its not exactly ever going to reach 100% load in any other program.

Omn mine at 4.2 i got mine running at 1.3875 and 1.42 VTT

How i did it

increase CPU PLL to 1.85

ICH analogue voltage 1.35
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

jonj678

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 08:21:43 pm »
The bios voltage is the no-load applied voltage. When the processor draws a current, the voltage drops. This is normal for voltage supplies, a battery may offer 9.5V in an open circuit but only 8V when connected to a load. When you boot windows, the processor is under slight load so voltage has dropped a bit. This is vdrop. When running prime95, it draws a lot more current and so the voltage drops more, this is vdroop. They're the same effect.

Intel encourages this specification, as voltage decreasing under load makes things less likely to burn out. LLC is defying intel's spec as a result of a few years of overclockers complaining about vdroop. Doesn't matter if they knew what they were talking about or not, you give the customer what they want or they go elsewhere. So now almost all motherboards offer LLC of some sort. Makes people happy being able to set lower numbers in the bios.

I don't much care what my idle voltage is. The processor is not drawing much current at idle, so few electrons are hammering through it and less damage is done. It's under high current conditions that the voltage matters, and llc does nothing to reduce load voltage. All it does is stress the motherboard and give you a happy feeling that your system is safe.

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 10:08:20 am »
1.396 is completely fine, i were running prime for the last two days to test and I have no problems.

My I7 needs just under 1.4v for a stable 4.2 Ghz, but I have enough cooling to handle it, and its not exactly ever going to reach 100% load in any other program.

have you tried lowering it 1.3875 but upping the vtt a little bit?
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news