Official GIGABYTE Forum

[HELP!] Graphic Support for GA-EP41T-UD3L (rev. 1.1)

[HELP!] Graphic Support for GA-EP41T-UD3L (rev. 1.1)
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:08:52 pm »
Hi guys. I'm new here and I'm in desperate need of help.
I have this motherboard GA-EP41T-UD3L (rev. 1.1) http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3348
I wanted to upgrade my system. I have a 2gb RAM and I want to get it up to 8gb by putting 3x2GB in the remaining slots.
I got GeForce GT 220 as my graphic card. I want to upgrade my graphic card. I want to put a 2GB vRam or to be more specific, something like Nvidia GTX 660.

I wanted to ask you guys if my motherboard will support a higher graphic card?

Please reply to this if you have any knowledge. I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: [HELP!] Graphic Support for GA-EP41T-UD3L (rev. 1.1)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:07:28 pm »
Yes that would be nice that you want to put in a 660 card. But the thing is that yes it might work. But where it is a older board.

It might not work. You might be better of with a 500 series card. I'm just giving you a heads up to the fact that you might run into some problems.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:04:40 pm »
Thanks, dmdilks.

Then I guess I'd better get a new motherboard then. Seeing that games are all evolving and I might eventually need to upgrade it then, so why not now?

What model or what kind of motherboard do you suggest? Something that's good for gaming and supports higher cards and RAMs.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:14:49 pm »
As dmdilks has said, the NVidia 660 card should work but that is no guarantee that it will. That said, I have run newer GPU's on older boards and not met with any major problems, especially when they can run Windows 7, which this motherboard can.

You will almost definitely run into issues if you add 3 sticks of RAM to your existing one. This motherboard was designed when DDR3 first came along and the normal rated speed was 800 MHz or1066MHz. 1333MHz was deemed as O/Clocking and it is now very difficult to get hold of lower speed modules. Also, if you want to populate all four slots on the motherboard you need to make sure that any RAM modules you can get are single sided and a matched kit and each stick can only be a maximum of 2 Gig. If you can get a 4 x 2 gig matched kit of single sided RAM then, in theory, you should be able to run it.

EDIT: If you are considering upgrading (You replied just as I was about to post this) then the important thing for us to know is what kind of budget you have as this will have the biggest impact on the best advice we can offer. Also, will you be wanting to use any of your existing components in the new build and if yes, what are they?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:21:06 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 07:28:20 pm »
Thanks for replying, absic.

Well, the budget I'm willing to spend is about 500 to 600 dollars and from what I've just learned from you guys, I'm just gonna keep my one 2GB RAM and my quad core intel processor (2.5 GHZ) => ((will I need to change those(processors) too?))

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 07:32:21 pm »
If you are thinking of getting a new motherboard then you will almost certainly need a new processor and RAM modules.

As a matter of interest is the 500 - 600 dollars in US currency and do you have an on-line shop you are thinking of using?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 07:36:26 pm »
Alright.

Yes, I converted the amount of money I was gonna use to US Currency which seems to be the international currency.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:52:46 pm »
A couple more questions I'm afraid.....
What will you mainly be using the new PC for?
Does it have to be Intel based or are you prepared to use AMD?
Where will you be buying the parts from? - If you are in Iran, as your flag shows, then I have to admit to not knowing what is actually available in your part of the world.  :-[

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 08:00:54 pm »
It's okay, absic. It's me who is keeping your time, sorry for that.

I'll be using it for gaming mostly.
I think in my older rig I had AMD processors. It really doesn't matter, as long as I get a good gaming session :d
Here in Iran, there's companies with warranties of such components and there really is no big problem of providing it. But some new hardwares may come later than they arrive at other parts of the world.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »
With your budget I would probably be looking at an AMD rig. Not sure of costs where you are but the following components, in the UK would come in at the top end of your budget.

CPU: AMD FX 4350 Unlocked, Quad Core - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-fx-4350-unlocked-vishera-quad-core-s-am3plus-42ghz-12mb-total-cache-125w-retail

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-990xa-ud3-amd-990x-s-am3plus-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-20-(x16)-atx

RAM:Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-vengeance-blue-ddr3-pc3-12800(1600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v

GPU: Gigabyte GTX660 WindForce - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-gigabyte-gtx-660-windforce-2x-rev2-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gpu-980mhz-boost-1033mhz-cores-960

Of course, these are the main components and I am assuming that your PSU, HDD's, monitor, mouse, keyboard etc, are being used from your existing build. That said, if your PSU is not a good one then you may have to change your plans, as getting this component right is a must for any PC.

If you think that your PSU will need to be upgraded then consider building an Intel rig that uses a Dual Core CPU rather than a Quad core. If you get this part right then you can upgrade CPU, RAM, GPU as and when your budget allows.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 08:40:27 pm »
I'll be sure to check these out thoroughly.
Thanks, absic. You've been a great help for me today and I truly appreciate your contributions  ;).

Thanks again, and have a good evening.
GTG now.

- May the force be with you...

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 08:42:19 pm »
No problem, pleased to help where I can.

In šāʾ Allāh