Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Living Review

neilgl

Re: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Living Review
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 10:43:36 pm »
Hi all,
yes it may be better when overclocking - I have not tested that.

Presumably ESD = Electrostatic Discharge and EMI = Electromagnetic Interference
but where would the lower" impedance" be seen ?

Also, repeated the AsRock Test with a Core 2 Duo E6300 in my GA-EP35-DS3R, the temp went to 64degC on both cores after 15min. Conclusion: my E6300 is running hot c.f. the E6550 in the same board (GA-EP35-DS3R)

At the moment I'm waiting for some new RAM to arrive, one stick of my OCZ having gone west, failing on memtest86+

On my GA-EP45UD3LR I noticed the RAM  is running at 5-5-5-15 whereas it is rated at 4-4-4-15 at 400MHz, and FSB:RAM is 5:6,. I have not set anything in the BIOS
GA-EP45-UD3LR, GA-P35C-DS3R (two), GA-EP35-DS3R, GA-8PE667

RuiPereira

• Who goes there?
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 09:27:17 am »
A lot of people seem to make this same judgement, that 2oz Copper should automatically have lower temp.
This is what GIGABYTE has claimed - 2oz copper will improve power efficiency and lower temp.

GIGABYTE also did our own testing, let me explain…
We took two boards: 1x 1oz & 1x 2oz
Put them in a controlled environment, disconnected the CPU fan and started burning them  :o
The 2oz board was 50 degC cooler than the traditional 1oz motherboard.

A lot of people started questioning this, but now GIGABYTE has one of the most powerful overclocking boards around.
For example, DDR2 memory in Dual Channel reaching speeds or 1508MHz !!!
The standard should be 1066MHz (UP to 1,333MHz)
This was never possible using the 1oz boards and still maintaining the lower temp needed for stability.
Plus we not stopping here  ;)

This is all because GIGABYTE keeps focusing on quality components.

2oz
Doubling the amount of copper improves power efficiency and lowering temp

Solid Capacitors
50,000hrs Japanese Capacitors = longer lifespan for system and better electronic conductivity for excellent system performance

Low RDS(on) MOSFET
Lower power consumption during the switching process, resulting in a faster switching process and less heat generation

Ferrite Core Chock
Lower core energy loss & EMI interference and better ability of resist rust

I guess what I’m trying to say is that during standard use, the temp you getting is not a concern.
The motherboard is designed to take that heat.
Its only when you start to increase these temps by O/C’ing that you start to realise the benefits.
The board will continue to stay stable, even at higher temps.
If you not into O/C’ing, then no problem, because you still have the benefits on a high-quality build motherboard.

GIGABYTE UK

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 11:10:35 am »
Hence my pleasant suprise to find that Their not bulls***ting about that 2oz PCB running cooler :lol:
It's nice when you find out that a product does do exactly  what it says on the box. Which was done running at 4.4ghz
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:14:23 am by supershanks »