Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte ma785gmt-ud2h + GTX 750ti = pc boots but no image. Please help

Hi  :)

You may have already read a thread from me posted a month ago about an issue i had with a newly acquired GTX 750 it. I thought it was solved since then, but in fact, it's not.

Here's a recap:

I've bought a MSI GTX 750 ti (without PCI-Express connector, only powered by the PCI slot) to improve my PC (based on a motherboard Gigabyte ga-ma785gmt-ud2h rev 1.1, roughly 5 years old, and an Athlon X2), play and mine a bit.

At the time, my PC was booting and was even reaching windows (i know it as my wifi dongle is only turning on when windows has started), but without anything on screen. I was using a HP 300w PSU, so people on this forum have advised me to change it for something more powerful and stable.

I've purchased an Antec 600w bronze PSU, and then the GTX was working. Nonetheless, since one month, every now and then, i had the same issue that with my old PSU, the PC boots but without anything on screen. I am generally able to fix this by unplugging/plugging the components inside my rig.

I thought this issue was again deriving of the PSU (it was emitting an annoying hissing/rattling noise), and changed to a 550w platinum of high quality, but this time, the GTX wasn't displaying anything. I switched back to the Antec PSU and it worked 70% of the time as explained.

I have dealt with this tiresome situation until today, when regardless of my manipulations, the PC boots but i don't have an image. I'm currently using an embedded graphic chipset in my motherboard as a last resort while trying to resolve this problem.

So, what do you think is the issue?

- PSU: At first, i thought it was because of that, but i have the same problem with three different PSU, 2 news with a power above 500w which is more than enough for my rig (my CPU is like 60/70w, the GTX 750 ti is 38w and Nvidia recommends a 400w PSU).
- The GTX 750 ti: It's brand new, and when it worked, it worked fine (good performances, no artifacts). But i'm wondering if i don't have a semi-defective unit. When checking the back PCB, there are some "strains" around some chips, wonder if it's normal (not burns, just light strains).
- The motherboard: it's 5 years old, i'm wondering if it's not too old to handle this recent graphic card, especially as it's only through the motherboard and the PCI slot that the GTX is receiving its power. Perhaps the MB isn't reliable/stable enough in that light (although even if i don't have an image on the screen, the GTX fans are turning which would mean it's at least partially powered). I've tried another CG (an old radeon x1600 hypermemory), and it's working, so not sure if it's coming from the pci-e slot. Note that the MSI card is very long and hit a heatsink (but it hasn't prevented the card to work, when it worked). Concretely, do you think it could come from this motherboard? Are there any reported similar issues when we combine these kind of motherboards and brand new graphic cards?

So i'm a bit lost here, i would like to avoid sending the GTX for an RMA if the issue isn't coming from it. I may also buy a cheap micro atx motherboard and a new CPU to spruce up my rig (preferably intel isn't it?) but not sure it's the right time for this and what to acquire (and perhaps the issue isn't coming from my satisfactory enough mb+cpu).

Thanks in advance for your help  :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:15:54 pm by HelpGraf »

autotech

First of all a 5 year old motherboard isn't that great to use a new card in. Some of it has to do with bios not being able to see it. Secondly have you read the reviews on that antec PSU.   

If you want to go cheap get a amd or intel with integrated graphics.  They both have come along way. You may have to play most modern games on medium settings but it will work.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

First of all a 5 year old motherboard isn't that great to use a new card in. Some of it has to do with bios not being able to see it. Secondly have you read the reviews on that antec PSU.   

If you want to go cheap get a amd or intel with integrated graphics.  They both have come along way. You may have to play most modern games on medium settings but it will work.

the thing is, once i've installed the antec 600w psu (good reviews), the card was working with my motherboard, just 8 times out of 9, the 9 time i had to unplug the components inside and replug them to be able to have an image again. But since yesterday, no image at all :/

other opinions?

up

I have received two different messages from Gigabyte technical support to my requests (sent at different time, the first time my GTX wasn't working 3 times out of 10, the second time, no signal video at all).

In the first one, they told me it wasn't coming from the motherboard and provided me a screenshot showing techpowerup/cpu-z with the same motherboard and graphic card than me.

In the second one, they explained that Nvidia 7 series and AMD R9 series graphic cards aren't supported by my motherboard as it's not UEFI.

So which answer to believe? I find the second one weird as i was able to make it work for several weeks, and themselves too, but perhaps they meant that it could work but it would be instable (hence my issues)?

Depending on which one is correct, the consequences are completely different. Perhaps my GTX is faulty, or perhaps i have to replace my motherboard :/