Official GIGABYTE Forum

Windows loading files

Windows loading files
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:21:13 pm »
I have just received my i7 4770R put in 8gb ram and a 500 sata3 drive. It boots up and I can see the Hdd and memory in the bios. I then inserted my windows 7 disk and it starts to load but then hangs with the messaging 'windows loading files' with the white progress bar at 100%. As a result I never get to the point of selecting and formatting the hdd. I tried a different windows disc and got exactly the same behaviour. I know that the second disc has worked ok on. Different system. Any ideas?

Steve

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Windows loading files
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 08:42:45 pm »
Hi there,

you could try installing the OS with 4 Gb of RAM instead of 8 Gb. that can sometimes help.

You don't say which motherboard you are using but check the BIOS settings (BIOS Features heading) and make sure that you do not have it set for Windows 8.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 05:04:44 am »
Thank you, this is a gigabyte brix pro gb-bxi7-4770r  with a single 8gb ram. I am not sure what the motherboard is . I have checked the BIOS and I can't see any specific mention of windows 8.

Steve

ac

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:23:50 am »
If you are using a HDD that is fragmented or has undetected bad sectors or errors on the drive, it will cause a windows installation to freeze.

Run scandisk on the drive. Your HDD has to be in perfect condition before install. Repairs have to be made to the drive if there are any errors on it.

A bad DVD-Rom Drive can also freeze a windows install.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:29:36 am by ac »

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:37:14 pm »
I have continued to investigate.

I appear to be running the M4HM87P-00 motherboard.

The disc is unformatted and brand new. I was planning to format as part of the Windows 7 install but don't get that far.

A 'Windows loading files' message is displayed and a status bar quickly rises to 100% before resetting to 0% and then slowly increasing to 100%

When it reaches 100% some small coloured dots appear in blocks in a line, as if it is trying to display something.

I then tried to create a MaxBlast bootable disc, which is not recognised as bootable but is on another system. To format the HDD before trying the windows 7 disc again.

I am using HDMI linked to a TV screen and the display is shown as 720p.

Steve

ac

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:38:47 pm »
Update the bios. I had brand new drives have errors on it.  The disk is formatted but only with a low level format, if there is no partition on the drive.. Run memcheck86 64bit on your memory to see if your memory is ok. I would try to format the drive in a working computer and see if everything is ok with that.

An install is very sensitive to fail if there is an issue with some hardware not configured correctly or a piece of hardware that is bad.

Is your cpu picked up correctly in your bios.

Sometimes if you put your ram in different slots, it can fix a problem like this.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:57:01 pm by ac »

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 06:17:25 am »
I have checked the firmware and it is the latest I also ran a memory test which gave no errors. So I have just ordered a cable to allow me to connect the hard disk to a usb port and format it outside of the box.

Steve

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:02:50 am »
Ok so we now have some movement but seem to have also hit another issue.

By changing the BIOS to disable secure boot and enable CSM then the Windows 7 does progress with the install, which completes from the disc drive and then reboots the device.

I am now getting a few issues completing the set-up of Windows 7 as it then seems to freeze. I have tried a couple of times and keep getting slightly different results nothing consistent. So I am going to go back to doing a fresh instal and see what that gives.

Steve

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:58 am »
Ok so where i have got to is that the DVD player has two options in the BIOS for booting, one is a UEFI option the other not. If I build without the UEFI option then it creates two partitions, loads Windows 7 and ultimately goes into looping around the set-up is configuring screen.

If I build using the UEFI option then I get three partitions, and the set-up goes through to 'Setup is checking video performance' before the screen then blanks. From searching this may be a graphics card or use of LCD TV as a screen issue.

Restarting the PC brings me to enter the user and computer name, but the USB keyboard and mouse don't work. There are no lights on either and restarting doesn't make any difference. Any ideas, the keyboard / mouse worked on the earlier part of the install?

Steve

autotech

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 10:23:40 pm »
Reset your CMOS. Then strip it down to only what you have to have to run with. As in 1 dvd drive  , 1 stick ram, 1 monitor, and so on. If you have a windows xp disk try to use it to just wipe your hard drive clean. Do the long format then after the format restart and then load windows 7 again.

Using a big screen tv to install windows with is not a good idea try to borrow a monitor with dvi or vga cable to do it with and after it is loaded do all  windows updates and driver updates, Then try your big screen again.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA