Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte's response to BIOS source code leaked??

Gigabyte's response to BIOS source code leaked??
« on: July 02, 2014, 03:44:17 pm »
A website in Taiwan had the Source Code for American Megatrends "Aptio" UEFI-Bios that Gigabyte's been using...posted onto their website.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Leak-Jetway-Test-Signing-BIOS,news-43400.html

Since the source code for our motherboards -UEFI-Bios was released what is Gigabyte going to do so fix the security problem we all have now??

Bad guys can now seize control of our PC's.

""""an event that may have compromised the security of every motherboard running AMI Aptio. The release of the latter item malware gives developers the ability to develop “signed” malicious BIOS updates, replace legitimate system BIOS updates, and gain access to most ring-0 OS functions."""

They KNEW creating this super system to replace conventional Bios's with all these new capabilities could lead to severe risk......this is the worst security whoopsie to happen in the entire history of computers.

Re: Gigabyte's response to BIOS source code leaked??
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:54:19 pm »
As a security precaution I deleted Linux from my Gigabyte Brix (after scrubbing the msata clean 3 different times to ensure everything's deleted....and installed Windows 7......

now my keyboard is showing numbers when I type letters....I think someone DID mess with the BIOS's in Gigabyte's products since the American Megatrends source code was leaked!!

Re: Gigabyte's response to BIOS source code leaked??
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 06:32:10 am »
Since the BIOS Source Code was leaked along with the keys in the BIOS,

a computer security tech said to change BIOS settings on the Gigabyte BRIX to UEFI settings for everything. Then install Windows 8.1 and let Microsoft replace the "BIOS" with its own UEFI controls..and keys.

This appears to be the only remedy for security since American Megatrends source code for their bios was leaked online.

Gigabyte should step up and either recall the effected products, push out a patch the change the BIOS to remove the source code that's now in the hands of the Chinese, Russians, Iran, and others...... or give everyone a new Microsoft 8.1 install disc to remedy the security issue.

Installing Microsoft 8.1 in UEFI mode overwrites the compromised source code.