Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga x99 sli - win 10/64 - stuck in boot loop

ga x99 sli - win 10/64 - stuck in boot loop
« on: May 07, 2016, 06:27:19 am »
 I was having problems with a game dark souls 3. It was giving me crashes to desktop, and then crashes to desktop which made my cursor dissappear, so I would have to manually restart my pc to recover. Not long after this I got a windows recovery message asking me if I wanted to reinstall windows or do a system restore(which I did). Same problems persisted until finally I am stuck in a boot loop which never starts windows. Some of the time I can make it into bios, but after a few seconds my cursor freezes and becomes unusable. When I go to put the win 7/64 disk(which I upgraded to win 10 from) in to try a repair it freezes at the windows logo. I have removed all unesential usb devices so that the only thing attached to my pc is the hdmi cable and my bluetooth which operates my mouse/keyboard. I have also tried removing memory, which ended up not changing anything. I unplugged my pc for 2 days to drain the battery? Which did nothing.  My specs are - ga x99 sli - i7 5930k - 32 gb 3200mhz ram - gtx 980 strix sli.                                                           I am typing from a ps4 right now and having a hard time with it, but this is the only other device I have to get on the internet with!          So what I want to happen is to be able to reinstall window 7, but I think broken win 10 on my ssd wont let it. Is there a way to manually erase my c drive(the ssd) without going into window? Unplugging something, turning some switch? Hopping around on 1 foot while singing god save the queen? Do I need to rma anything? Please help me, I don'y know what to do!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                               
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 06:30:15 am by jimmywhite73 »

Re: ga x99 sli - win 10/64 - stuck in boot loop
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 08:43:43 am »
Hello,

If you take it further and remove everything that is not required too boot and enter the BIOS, does it still freeze?

No HDD or SSD
Just board,CPU, 1xRAM, PSU, GFX

If it still freezes in the BIOS the issue lies with hardware.
What PSU are you using?
Can you use a weaker GFX card / spare one?
My PC is evolving

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:09:03 pm »
Ok so I did like you said(removed everything) and it did not freeze in bios. So I guess thats good.                                                                                   As far as psu goes it is a 1000w supernove gold. What should I do next? I'm almost certain that win10 is broken and causing all the problem, is there a way to wipe my c drive(ssd) manually? I'm certain that would fix the problem..

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 05:14:00 pm »
Go into the bios with the windows 7 disk in the drive. Boot from that drive using the UEFI DVD. Or if you are using a USB boot from the UEFI USB drive. When is gets to the point where it is asking you to upgrade or custom do the custom.

It will give some option and you click on the drives down in the right had corner. There you can delete the all the partition. Then you can reinstall windows after that.

What SSD do you have too? There some out there that have high fail rates.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 06:48:28 pm »
The ssd is the samsung 850 pro. As for booting from disk, the problem I am having is the power shuts off when I try using the win 7 disk. I have the boot sequence set like you said with uefi as #1 and disk as #2, but it just keeps doing the boot loop thing...power cuts off even when its reading from disk.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:09:16 pm by jimmywhite73 »

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 10:57:48 pm »
At this point you are kind of screwed. You don't have another computer you can work with, you have just PS4. Now when you do a reset to the cmos do you leave everything at default other then how you are booting? Leave the memory at 1 or 2 sticks at the default settings 2133 and not at 3200. Then give it a try.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 07:24:17 am »
I guess all I can do is to buy a new ssd and install win 7 on it, kinda sucks that there is noway around this.                                                                 Memory sticks I'm juyst using 1, and yes I have everything at default.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 11:52:10 am »
Come to think of it I do have enough spare parts around to put together a crappy amd pc minus the dvd drive. What would I do with it that will help my problem if I do put it together?

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 09:04:57 pm »
OK I made some headway...I'm able to get to advansed options in the win 7 installation, but when it prompts me to select a drive to install win on the all come up as incompatible with this message...Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The seleected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Any thoughts on what to do? I remember having this issue when I fist built this pc but I can't remember what I did to bypass this.

dmdilks

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 01:43:09 am »
Did you delete all the partition because both my windows 7 & 10 are on a MBR partition.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 06:42:13 am »
Yes I deleted the partitions now and was able to wipe the drives and install win 7 on the 850 pro, but once I got to the point in the installation where the pc restarts itself it will freeze at the windows logo and shut down. Then when it reboots it says there was an error in the installation and to try repairing, so I do that and it says that it is fine with no errors. Then it asks you to check the memory, so I do that and it comes back fine with no errors. So what the hell? I guess I should be happy that I'm making progress, and learning in the process, but to be honest my patience is waring thin. Does a component sound faulty to you? Mobo, dvd drive, 850pro? Or is it just in the programming and I got to keep trying to figure this out? I don't want to take it to a pro and pay them money for them to just tell me I have a bad component and do nothing, as I'm not rich, to be honest my bank account is still suffering from building this pc.