Official GIGABYTE Forum

App Center (B14)

App Center (B14)
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:19:49 pm »
I've used Gigabyte mainboards for years. I like the products, i like the software (most of it); I like gigabyte. :)

App Center vB14 is AWFUL. It is just rubbish. Its unfinished, badly designed, poorly coded, bloatware, whose sole purpose is to annoy customers.

Just in case gigabyte is interested, i will explain why this total POS should be binned asap...

1) I only wanted Easytune (b14).
  I used ET6 b12 happily (yes i know its buggy and crashes a lot, but it was better than arseing about with the bios, and having the cpu and fans oc'ed all the time). But can i have ET only - no, i have to install App Center as well. Thats FU number one.
2) check for updates.
  A please wait message appears - right in the way. and cant be moved or minimised - for AGES! WTF Man? Even Adobe apologised for that idiotic irritation. It continues to be in my face while i'm remote desktop-ing. Thats FU #2.
3) Where on earth are the updates coming from?
  They are not on the gigabyte website. They are not on the Intel website. But apparently there are a few newer ones available?!?!?!?!
4) Why are the downloads so ridiculously slow. It took hours for these 'updates' to arrive. i mean i was getting 45KB/s. Other websites and speedchecks showed my internet was working normally.
5) I thought *everyone* had a download manager that downloaded all THEN installed. But this POS gets and then installs one-by-one. COuld this be any more annoying. What 12yearold wrote this? I have to repeatedly return to this 'new' pc to click next, next, i agree, next... oh for the love of christ just get on with it.
6) checking for updates - what check?
  Half the driver downloads were older than the drivers already installed. some were not even appropriate (think Intel vs AMD, or Etron vs Intel). Incredibly i had to wait for the download, unpacking, and the installation to start before version numbers were compared.
7) Backup of these drivers - where are they?
  As I want to test this, and propably other, not ready for release software, i'd like to back up these downloads. I certainly wouldnt want to download all these drivers again when i rebuild my pc. we are now at FU#7
8 ) oh yes, the first driver wanted to restart my pc. can i assume gigabyte knows how to correctly chain installations so that they all proceed correctly. i'm not holding my breath on that seeing how pooly this app has behaved so far.

So well done gigabyte. i feel you've spat on me 8 times in one morning.
For a computer company to produce such a steaming pile of s***, after years of business, is quite a feat! i hope you're proud.

Any comments? An apology would be nice, but i'd rather have a professional app center. May i suggest you fire whoever created appcenter, the programmer, the planner, their managers, and anyone else involved who didnt say "its s***e - we'll piss off our customers".

Now, fingers crossed, i'm going for the restart...

Re: App Center (B14)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:31:46 pm »
OH MY FUC#ING GOD
What on earth have you done to Easytune?
Its gone from being a useful little app to an UGLY USELESS POS!

90% of screen real estate? Huge buttons? Most of them dont do anything?

What on earth is going on? I've already sold my stock, and i'm warning other people that the animals are running the farm!

(and i'm not convinced half of the updates actually installed...)

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 03:23:41 am »
Totally agree. I just uninstalled that garbage right now. Every time the PC would restart it would check for updates which was slow. Then it would offer me out-dated 'updates' that really defy the word update...what is a more accurate term? Offer of Degradation?
"There are new options to degrade your current version"

Then when it would update, it would spam that window right in the middle of the screen, then it was like i was using a really bad dial-up modem to access these outdated drivers. I imagine some 90's X-files guy wearing a matrix jacket sitting in some cave in the Himalayas with a dial-up modem having lunch with the abominable snowman while they pedal a generator as fast as the abominable snowman can peddle so they can power the dial-up modem so they can send me outdated 'offers of degradation'.
And even then the abominable snow-man sometimes gets puffed out and the update times out or fails.

As much as I wish I could enjoy the App center it was like stepping in a dog turd every time I turned on my PC.

PS: Normally I wouldn't bother but this APP center was so bad I registered just so I could complain.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:24:45 am by Makaaka »

Krx

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:35:32 am »
Hi

I also registered for sole purpose to complain about App Center.
1: It crashes 2-30 mins after PC boots up
2: It prompts about update after every boot-up.
3. Update NEVER finishes. Just hangs without any message
(I disabled firewall during that, just in case)
4. Update and message is FIXED at center of the screen and cannot be minimised. WTF?
5. Live update shows @BIOS update. Update fails every time.
6. Download updates is painfully slow.
7. Few days ago I've uninstalled app center, downloaded latest version from gigabyte website.
Guess what? After rebooting PC "App center Update" available message pops up again. LOL
8. Why so huge text and buttons? it's not that we're blind or something.

Gigabyte, please fix your software.

i7 4770K on Z87M-D3H
App Center B14.1110.1
Windows 8.1 pro, all patches installed.

Regards
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:36:41 am by Krx »

Dinger

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 04:31:20 pm »

I've logged in just to complain about this really terrible app paclkage.

On my system I am running gigabyte gaming 5 z97x mobo. I have a UHD monitor and a MSI GTX 980 graphics card. When I run the appcentre after install there was no display of the actual app. After having a long conversation with gigabyte's customer care I found that the app was located in the top right corner off the screen (at 1080p and UHD), and needs to be pulled down to be visible. The app updates itself to a version not available on the website. The live update shows updates but it downloads at 45kbps and does not install the download or download the next item after completing the first download, it just stalls.

Really not worth bothering to install or use this app. Gigabyte needs to work on its customer care and its bundled software.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 03:15:48 pm »
I am having exactly the same issue, but although when I try to load App Centre the program shows in the taskbar, and I can see an outline of it by hovering the mouse over it, nothing appears on my monitors at all. I've checked the top right corner as suggested and nothing is there.

I run a dual monitor setup, with my main monitor at UHD resultion and second monitor at HD resulution.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 11:49:38 pm »
My APP Center keeps trying to install the same updates over and over.....there's no way to ignore them so I keep getting notified.  Always Cloud Station, Cloud Station Server and SmartRecovery2 all of which I've installed (in theory) many times using the app.  I don't particularly want any of them but I want the notifications to stop.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 04:43:38 am »
Same issue here, App Center keeps trying to install the same 3 updates EVERY time.  I've installed them ad nausium and they are up to date.  If you guys can't find the bug, how about giving us an option to ignore THIS PARTICULAR update.  I like keeping my system apps up to date, but my patience for the continuous spamming of updates waiting if beginning to grate on me.  Also getting driver cannot release to failure on, I believe EZ Tune, so I've had to disable that too.

Love to see some quality updates on this, it's a good product when it works.

Jim

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:04:58 pm »
Well, we are deep into 2017 and  most up to date App Center still asks for certain update each time I boot up. Fast boot is the one I have installed and this is the one that is annoying me.
After updating, I have to reboot, and guess what: New updates are available pops up and guess what 2: Fast Boot!!!!!!
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ::) ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 10:01:25 pm »
Well, we are deep into 2017 and  most up to date App Center still asks for certain update each time I boot up. Fast boot is the one I have installed and this is the one that is annoying me.
After updating, I have to reboot, and guess what: New updates are available pops up and guess what 2: Fast Boot!!!!!!
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ::) ::) ::) ::)

Mine just did a update on both my Computers and it remove the App Center What is up with that is App Center a Goner now ?