Official GIGABYTE Forum

R9 280X (GV-R928XOC-3GD rv1.0) display shuts down when GPU is tested

OK, so I have problems with gpu set up, so here are specs and issue.

My rig (all new):

mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990 FX v2.0

cpu: amd 6350 BE (stock cooler)

psu: Corsair HX 850

ram: Corsair Vengence 16g (1600)

gpu: gigabyte Radeon R9 280X v1

moniter: samsung UN26D4003

Catalyst v14.4 (I started w/ Gigabyte catalyst version downloaded from the Gigabyte driver dl's. Immediately after install, Catalyst updated to 14.4)

I realized I had a issues when I first tried running a game (Wolfenstein TNO). As soon as the game would start, within seconds, the screen would go black, followed by a No signal.

I have worked for 3 days tring to find a fix but came to realize today, that if I run the Windows system rating (which shows as 2.0 due to a score of 2 for 3D graphics) I have the same reaction as when I try to run WTNO.

Upon my last reboot I was given the option to view the crash file:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode:    116
BCP1:    FFFFFA8011831160
BCP2:    FFFFF88005770E04
BCP3:    FFFFFFFFC0000001
BCP4:    0000000000000003
OS Version:    6_1_7601
Service Pack:    1_0
Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\071414-10701-01.dmp
C:\Users\Howshiz\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-15069-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I would appreciate assistance.

Re: R9 280X (GV-R928XOC-3GD rv1.0) display shuts down when GPU is tested
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:49:47 am »
Hi,

I have recently experienced something similar with a new rig and an already used XFX 7850 card that went faulty. Now I have a Gigabyte R9 280x rev1.0 and have other problems... but anyway I'll try to help:

1. First thing is to make sure what is the faulty component, assuming you can potentially RMA any of them. Just to make sure it's the GPU and not other element.
1.a. There are several BSOD analysers (like bluescreen viewer)  out there that will take your minidump as input and will highlight the SW element that failed, this will give you more information about the actual error, it may be caused by the GPU driver or a failure while accessing memory for instance (in my experience, RAM is the component I've had to replace the most)
1.b  try the "easy" things like using some Driver removing tool like DDU to get rid off previous drivers before upgrading. Scan your HDDs to see if File System is OK.
1.c Try to run stress tests on individual parts, for instance, run Memtest86+ for RAM, prime95 for CPU, and Linx for both CPU and RAM. These are used for OC'ing, but a stock new rig should be pretty much stable.
1.d  I would also try  other games and benchmarks like Unigine Heaven 4.0 to mainly stress the GPU.

If you are able to easily reproduce the issue, that's fine, it means you found the culprit. You can start with the GPU benchmark test if you like, but if you have time I would do  the rest as well, just in case. 

2. If possible, I would try the GPU on another setup, or just try an old card in your new setup.

If the GPU is causing the issues, I wouldn't bother trying to flash a new BIOS or anything and RMA the card straight away. Especially if you are able to reproduce the issue.