Official GIGABYTE Forum

Crucial CT512MX100SSD1 not recognized when SATA Type = RAID on GA-990FXA-UD5

Hi,

My old SSD drive (OCZ Agility 3 240GB)  passed on to the 'nether' world recently.  I'm attempting to restore onto a new Crucial CT512MX100SSD1 SSD drive.  When I have the SATA Type set to 'RAID' in the BIOS, Windows 7 64 Bit will not recognize it when I go through the setup process.  I am loading the latest AMD and Marvell RAID drivers that I dl'd from the Gigabyte site last night during the install process.  I can see my 1TB spindle drives that are in a RAID 1 Array (which is why I need to use RAID) after loading the drivers, but it will not recognize the SSD drive. 

I can see the SSD in the BIOS when RAID is set, but again, when I go through the Windows install nothing I seem to do will allow the SSD to be recognized when SATA Type is set to 'RAID'.  If I change SATA Type to IDE, then I can see it during the Win 7 setup.  However, that does me no good since I need the RAID for the 1TB drives. 

I made no changes to the BIOS when I replaced my failed Agility SSD drive.  I had assumed (apparently wrongly -- ;D) that a new SSD would work the same.  On a side note, I had a similar problem when I was setting up the Agility SSD drive and the answer was to set RAID 5 Support = Enabled in the BIOS so the SSD drive would be recognized during Windows install (after loading the drivers).  Here's the link to that post.  http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=44571

My current BIOS settings that are relative.
SATA Type = RAID
SATA Port 4/5 Type = As SATA Type (Tried the other settings also)
SATA RAID 5 Support = Enabled (I've tried 'Disabled' also)
SATA 3.0 Support = Enabled

So, I don't think it is a Board issue because the Agility SSD worked...or is that this board and SSD drive are not compatible?  Is anyone using an 500GB or greater SSD on this board or know what can be done so Windows 7 will recognized the drive when using the RAID controller?

Thanks for any help!

Here are my current system specs:

GA-990FXA-UD5 (rev 1.0) (Bios version is F12)
AMD Phenom II 955 Black edition
Corsair H50 cooler
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9)
Primary C: Drive: Crucial CT512MX 100SSD1 (Firmware updated to MU2)
2x 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA 2 (RAID 1)
Gigabyte GEForce GTX 570Ti
LG Blu-Ray burner
Power Supply EVGA 1200P2
Corair Obsidian Series 800D case
Win 7, 64 Bit

Everything is running stock, no OC'ing. 
Virus/Spyware/Rootkit check is clean using Malware Byte and McAfee

If I understand your post correctly....your setting up a single drive as RAID? If that is correct, then it will never work as RAID needs a minimum of 2 drives to function correctly.

If I understand your post correctly....your setting up a single drive as RAID? If that is correct, then it will never work as RAID needs a minimum of 2 drives to function correctly.

No.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I am aware that you need two drives for RAID.  I am trying to install Windows 7 and during the install process the SSD Drive that I want to install Windows onto is not visible.  I am using the AMD Raid drivers and have RAID enabled in the BIOS, but again the drive is not visible to allow me to then install Windows onto it.  The ultimate goal is to setup a RAID 1 array with the two 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA 2. 

When I switch over to IDE, I can see the drive during the Windows install process. 

Based on further research, it looks like this is a AMD and then consequently (or unfortunately) a Board issue.  I see a number of posts where people are having the same problem (just not on Gigabyte boards) and not able to use SSD drives when RAID is enabled on the BIOS.