Official GIGABYTE Forum

SOLVED - Help installing more hard drives.....

horton

SOLVED - Help installing more hard drives.....
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:44:09 pm »
Greetings.....

I'm completely new to this forum and I hope you will pardon any gaffs I make.  I hope I'm posting this query in the right sub-forum.  I did search but could not find precisely what I need to know.  
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P mobo.  When I build the system I only put in one 650 GB WD hard drive.  I now want to add at least one or two more.  I believe I'm using the SATA connectors controlled by the AMDSB750 -- they are blue in color and looks to be 6 separate spots to plug in a data cable.  
I'm pretty sure the current HD occupies the SATA2_0 spot.   plugged in an identical HD to the slot next to the original HD  The system booted up fine, but when I looked in My Computer (sorry, I'm running Win7 pro) I only saw one HD -- my original.  I then checked in Device Manager and I can see two HD's and both seem to be hooked properly.  
Do I need to make some changes in the BIOS?  I thought running JBOD I could simply plug in new HD's and I'd be off to the races.  I don't want to make any changes to my system until I can hopefully hear from users much more competent than I.  As they say, I know enough to be dangerous......
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.... Thanking you in advance.....

BTW.... I have read the mobo manual and it may as well be written in Greek when it comes to the SATA ports and dealing with them....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:47:01 pm by absic »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Help installing more hard drives.....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:08:00 pm »
Hi there,

Basically you can add a new hard drive to any of the SATA Ports. It is probably better to connect them in sequence SATA0, SATA1 etc but you don't have to do this and quite often I connect drives where the cable routing looks the best. You may encounter a few issues if you try to install drives over 2 Gigabyte in capacity but, for now, lets assume they are 2 Gb or less.

In BIOS the drives will show up automatically if they are connected properly and the SATA port that the drive is connected to.

Now for the tricky part, if the drive is new, when you go into Windows it may not show up, this is because the drive will need to be formatted and assigned a drive letter for it to work within the Windows environment. To do this go to Control Panel/System & Security/Administrative Tools/Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions. When you open this tool it should recognize the new drive and tell you that it needs to be formatted. If I remember correctly it will probably say that first you need to initialize the drive by making it a simple volume. Format that drive as NTFS and assign it a drive letter this will usually be the next one in alphabetical sequence. The C: drive is the Main System Drive, D: drive is the DVD drive (if installed), so the next available slot will be E:
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

horton

{{ SOLVED}} Re: Help installing more hard drives.....
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:41:09 pm »
absic, you sir are a genius...... I can not thank you enough for your clear and concise help.   I hate to admit how long I struggled to get the drive working properly.  I've come to the conclusion that the documentation that comes with products like mobos is only good for the pics that show you what is where and if you know what you are doing you probably don't even need them....lol.  

I followed your directions to the "T" and next thing I knew there was the new drive showing up in "My Computer"..... Fantastic!!!  It didn't take 5 minutes to accomplish.   Now I know how to add the other drives if I need to.  

Again, my sincere thanks for your prompt help.  I went ahead and added "solved" to the thread title to indicate no further replies are necessary.  Hope that was OK with the mods......  EDIT ... looks like I needed mod privileges to change the title.  Solved only showed up on the title of my post.....

horton
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:42:35 pm by horton »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: SOLVED - Help installing more hard drives.....
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:48:03 pm »
No problem and pleased to be able to help.

Being a Mod I was able to edit the title for you too.  ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.