Official GIGABYTE Forum

M68M-S2 drivers won't install

M68M-S2 drivers won't install
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:22:48 pm »
Hi all,

I'm trying to get my MoBo's drivers to behave and they won't. Every time I install it's good until reboot; then I can only boot to "Safe Mode" or "Last Known Good Configuration". It will boot to Safe Mode.

Here's the skinny:

I cloned my main drive to setup and experiment with my new MoBo (GB-M68M-S2 Rev. 1), new vidcard, new RAM, OnBoard Sound, before I move my main drive to the new setup and made notes as to what I did so when I move my main drive, I'll know what and what not to do.

1) I followed the MS way to move the drive (Insert CD, click upgrade and when starts to reboot, turn off and move to new MoBo, turn on and allow upgrade to continue) and there were only a couple of extremely minor things that didn't get done.

2) I don't have a DVD drive, so I went to GB's site and downloaded the Audio and Chipset drivers.

3) Unzipped the files into their own folders.

4) Clicked on Setup.exe for the Realtek Audio drivers

5) Clicked on Setup.exe in the XP32 folder for Chipset

It always says "Install Complete" and I can get on the web, sound, and everything else. That is until I reboot. When I reboot, it goes through the POST and then the screen stays black. I have to do a hard shutdown and when I do, I get the F8 screen. Boot "Normal" gives me a black screen. Last Known will boot, but the drivers aren't there and I can't get on the web. Everything (all programs) works great; except no sound and no web.

So, how do I fix this?

MoBo: GA-M68MS2 | CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 |  Ram: 2GB PC28500 | PSU: 550W | OS: WXP

Pottypete

Re: M68M-S2 drivers won't install
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:45:10 pm »
Hi,
Install your O/S on your new mobo PC hdd,
O/S is not saving your new drivers each time you shut down and reboot it won't see them,
cheers