Official GIGABYTE Forum

Hissing sound as windows shuts down

REMA1

Hissing sound as windows shuts down
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:55:41 pm »
self-build (2nd).......ok.... with the help of those who can on the internert forums :-)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4(rev. 1.0) Bios F2
Processor AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 BE 3.4
Memory Kingston  KHX1600C9D3K2/4G 4GB running at 1600 1.755v
Video Card # 1 XFX ATI Radeon 5770 1 GB
Hard Drive # 1 WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS
Optical Drive # 1 Sony DVD Recorder 24x SATA RAM
Power Supply Corsair TX 750
Monitor DELL ST 2410
Operating System win 7 64 bit

Hello, when I shut down windows I get a hissing sound through the speakers (I have tried with other speakers and I get the same sound). It almost seems to happen when windows has almost shut  off . It only usually lasts for 2 seconds and ocassionally I haven't had the sound at all.
I have the latest audio drivers installed (using onboard sound). The monitor is a DEll ST2410 model and I connect to the graphic-card via HDMI cable , and i have also tried with an 19" DELL monitor attatched via DVI.

What I have done:
 1.I have loaded win7 in safe mode 3-4 times now (no audio drivers loaded...guess this is normal) and I have NOT heard the sound.
2.I have re-seated the Ram and checked all the connections to mobo and fans...all seem ok with the connections.

I plug my PC and speakers etc into a surge protection socket array...can this have any influence? .
I have GÖÖGLED this 1miiiiilllllllion and one times.....Any help much appreciated...other than this the PC runs fine ..I feel that I probably just have a wrong setting somewhere or the like....Just need to know if it could be Hardware and doing damage...

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: Hissing sound as windows shuts down
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:24:57 pm »
How loud is this hiss? Is it a hiss or a buzz? Does it do it when it says "shutting down" or is it after?
There's no place like ::1

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 02:38:36 pm »
Hi there, just a couple of quick questions for you.
How are you outputting the sound from PC?
What speaker/amp set-up are you using?

Sound of this kind can be due to a number of things and to be honest, is actually quite common. I use an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card and the shutdown noise can be very disconcerting if I have forgotten to turn my amp off first.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

REMA1

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:00:32 pm »
oggmonster....the sound is quite loud...easily heard BUt not in anyway loud enough to "blow your socks off".  IT sounds like the old TV's when nothing was on except for the "snowy" screen ...before Tv's automatically surpressed this sound...I thik the term is "White Noise" or maybe  Static Noise ??
absic115.. The Dell monitor is connected to XFX 5570 by HDMI cable..In the MENU of this monitor under Audio Line Out source is set to: HDMI (have also tried set to : PC ).....Poe Save Audio is set to : ON (have also tried OFF)

The Speakers I have are Phillips Model No. MMS 260/00  5.1 system (2 front, 2 side, 1 centre and 1 subwoofer/BASS..    It is not an expensive set.
They are very close together due to lack of space.  These are connect to te pc via the Green Yellow and Black jacks .
The Realtek HD Audio manager is set to SPEAKERS as Default Device.. The other options  Digital Ouput, HDMI output, Digital Ouput Optical, and Digital Input that appear have been MUTED by me in The Realtek HD Audio manager.

The midi tower came with 4 fans contrölled by a fan controller ...If these were interferring by any chance would they not interfer all the time...AS I say the PC is running fine other than this...I did have just a couple of restarts  early on after uping the RAM speed But this stopped as soon as I upped the volatage...Recommendation is between 1.7 to 1.9v (presently at 1.775 or something similar.

You also say  
Quote"Sound of this kind can be due to a number of things and to be honest, is actually quite common. I use an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card and the shutdown noise can be very disconcerting if I have forgotten to turn my amp off first. " Unquote.
Does that mean that this is NOT likely to be doing any harm and it's just something to live with ?

Thanks for the help
Richard
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:09:01 pm by REMA1 »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:42:26 pm »
Hi there Richard,

The obvious thing for me to suggest would be relocating the speakers to see if this makes a difference but, as you have said your space is limited, I guess this isn't an option for you. It could be worth checking your speaker cables. If they are badly arranged or coiled, they can act like a radio receiver and if there is a poor contact between the jacks and their inputs this can also cause it.

Does that mean that this is NOT likely to be doing any harm and it's just something to live with ?

The reality is that when a PC shuts down it stops it's services, such as sound, video, internet connection, before actually turning off the CPU, HDD's etc. The sound is most probably due to the fact that the audio drivers have stopped but there is still a connection to the amp/speakers (Your white noise description is very apt). Although it is annoying I doubt there will be anything that you can do to actually stop it from happening and, so long as the level isn't too loud, it won't be causing any problems to your hardware, only your ears.

To be honest I come from a music/sound/video orientated background and have been building PC's for over 10 years now. I have always turned off my amp/speakers etc., before shutting down the PC. A force of habit I have gained over many years, as even high tech amps and studio recording equipment can suffer from this.

I hope this helps.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

REMA1

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 05:01:51 pm »
absic115...thanks alot for the reply and a reassuring one as you have a background in this matter. Turning my speakers off before logging off is something that I can get used to....and as I said it's not that bad anyway.
I was just worried as I sent an email to Gigabyte in scandanavia ( ex Brit now in Sweden) an they said that it sounded like my PSU....which I thought was strange especially as they hadn't asked me any questions but came to an answer based on my sketchy discription at the time....Unfortunatley THE RAM GUY at Corsair has been looking into this (contacted them based on gigabytes scandaavias reply)  ..he asked me to log into safe mode, then  shut down to see if problem still exsists...which it didn't .
I will let him know that you seemed to have solved it..... as I say after they said it was possibly the PSU I started to worry thinking that I was doing my PC damage....
Thanks to you both for contributing to this post....
Have a great weekend  ;D

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:43:23 pm »
Just to confirm what absic said, its nothing to worry about. I was at my friends house today and he had the exact same thing as you've described :)
There's no place like ::1