« on: August 04, 2014, 11:36:42 am »
Hi Everyone,

I've just finished building my latest rig :-

Gigabyte Z87N-WiFi
Intel i5 4670 CPU with HD 4600 GPU
Noctua NH-L9i CPU Cooler
8Gb (2x4) Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 1600
128GB SATA-III SSD
This is my 8th Gigabyte system that I've built in the last year but first time with Z87N-WiFi Motherboard.

The system itself works fine, booting into the OS is quick and all on-board hardware works perfect..
the issue occurs when i shutdown the system (via the OS, or holding power button in for 4 seconds)

It shutdown and powers-off fine, but it will not restart until i unplug the mains lead from the PSU and force a cold boot.
I've also noted than when it shuts down there is no 5V standby power being suppled to the USB ports ?
So it looks like all power is being shutoff to the motherboard ????

Putting a meter on the PSU/ATX connector shows that the PSU has not tripped and is still supplying voltage to the motherboard.

Its not the power button, have tried alternate buttons all exhibit the same issue.
I've tried playing with the 'Power Loading' option in the BIOS but same result
I've tried a different PSU - same result
I've tried different RAM -same result
tried clearing CMOS/ default values .. etc

I've tested the PSU and RAM on a H77N-WifI motherboard and it all works as expected.
I've tried both F4 & F5 official firmware from main support site but it makes no difference ?

Never seen this behaviour before on any of the Gigabyte systems that i've built in the past year: 2 x GA-Z77-UD5H, 4 x GA-H77N-WiFi, 2 xGA-H87N-WiFi.

Its really strange as PC works great when booted, but having to pull the PSU mains lead out every time to get it to switch on is getting to be a real pain and clearly not right, not having USB power while shutdown is the biggest  issue for me though.

I have read of other users experiencing this issue on other forums, but no fix or explanation....?
Hope its not a faulty motherboard but i'm out of ideas unless someone out there can help.

Cheers
Jay

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:55:09 am by Jaymonkey »

Re: GA-Z87N-WiFi Strange Power Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »

Update to the Above Issue

I got in touch with my Mini-Box supplier and it looks like this is a known issue with this CPU, Motherboard & PicoPSU (Haswell CPU, GA-Z77N-WiFi & PicoPSU 160W).

They sent me the 150W version and it resolved the issue, it seems that when this motherboard goes into standby it draws so little power that it trips the 5V DCDC converter, using the 'loading' option in Power settings in the BIOS (F4,F5,F6C) does not resolve the issue.

I wonder if putting a 1000uf Cap across the 5V standby would help to avoid this ..... ?

Hope this helps anyone else with this issue.

Cheers
Jay