Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 780 Ti (GHz Edition) Trouble + General question

GTX 780 Ti (GHz Edition) Trouble + General question
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:39:43 am »
Hello,

I recently put a new computer together, but I haven't been able to fully enjoy it, as I keep getting "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" following a complete freeze when I'm playing games. I've already spent countless hours trying to fix this issue, but all to no avail.

If I underlock the card with 105MHz the games are reasonably stable and I can play them usually for at least an hour, but it's stupid that it still crashes after such a massive underclock after I've paid such an amount of money for it.

I'd RMA it, but I haven't been able to replicate the issue with anything other than a few games (Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Battlefield 3) and not with any Benchmarks / burn-in tests (Furmark, Unigine and a few others I can't remember). I'm currently downloading 3DMark, but I'm not sure what to expect. I even tried running a few of them at the same time (100% CPU usage, 100% RAM usage and 100% GPU usage) to see if my PSU would give in (Corsair AX860, so it should be fine, but it's worth a shot, ey?). I also used memtest to check my RAM but again, all fine.

Should I just RMA it? Would I have a chance of getting a proper card back?

My other question is not at all related to any of the above, but does this card support UEFI GOP?

If anyone would be able to help me out here, that'd be great for both my sanity, my amount of sleep and my health (I'm starting to miss the sun).

Regards,
Pim

EDIT: Before you ask, I've tried:
- Changing Tdr in regedit
- Fresh drivers (roughly a hundred times)
- Fresh installation of Windows
- Putting the GPU in a different slot on my motherbaord
- Spending countless hours roaming the internet trying to find a solution
- This: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288517-33-nvlddmkm-stopped-responding-error-freezing-pixelation#6916800 (Not exactly sure what I did there)0
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:44:56 am by pim16aap2 »

Wlada

Re: GTX 780 Ti (GHz Edition) Trouble + General question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:39:57 am »
I will replay to you because I'm sorry to look customers who pay premium price and can't play, but I can't tell you nothing good.
GIGABYTE GTX780Ti GHz Edition have known issue for many users worldwide.
On NVIDIA Forum is topic with 20 pages, on reviews card show instability or incapable to OC 10MHz, that mean 99% instable and on fabric clock.
We can't say all customers have problems but problem is not random 101% and even more people decide to avoid application where card is unstable.

I'm not sure is it 1020MHz version or 1085MHz version only and GIGABYTE should fix that with BIOS( 1% chance) or offer fast painless RMA to people with GHz Edition.
If someone spend money on shipping 2-3 times on RMA only to IT Company "bin stable cards" from unstable on customers GIGABYTE should offer free shipping with some 100% stable cards without issue.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:21:44 am »
Alright, thank you very much.

I'll just send it in for an RMA then. And probably a few times then :p

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 05:52:03 pm »
i have same isue.
GTX 780ti GHZ eddition
how to fix this?

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 03:40:47 pm »
i am sent email to gigabyte,but no respon.I think it's a gigabyte big brand, but it turns out like this His ministry, I hope there is no response from the parties gigabytes

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:12:06 pm »
Well, I got my GPU back yesterday and it seems to be working alright now.

I didn't deal with Gigabyte at all. I sent a mail to the place where I bought it and they asked me to send it to them. They tested it and when they found the same problems, they passed it on the Gigabyte.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:30:43 am »
Well, it's still crashing... Guess I've gotta send it back again... I'm truly loving this card...

OCGuy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 03:09:07 pm »
Hi, I just gonna qute myself:

Hi, sorry but I have bad news for you.

A LOT of the Gigabyte 780TI GHz have this problem. There are several threads around the web:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/688127/update-gtx-780ti-artifacting-crashing-gygabyte-windforce-gv-n78toc-3gd-oc-bad-batch-/ http://www.overclock.net/t/1461220/gigabyte-780-ti-ghz-edition-crashes
http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/grafikkarten/325311-gigabyte-gtx-780-ti-ghz-edition-probleme.html

The real bad thing is that Gigabyte just won't admit that there is a problem (most of the time RMA is not accepted). I also had a pointless discussion with the Gigabyte support.

The only solution is that you modify the BIOS youself (you are losing the warranty!) as described in the links above. If you have the possibility change your card with an other brand (EVGA or whatever) - it seems that they are working as promised.

have a nice day

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 11:19:15 am »
I have tried many things, but once it's my turn again in the game of pingpong, I'll try those things. If that doesn't work, I'll start pingponging my PSU, RAM and motherboard as well. At some point it should start working correctly, right?....... Right?

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 04:36:56 pm »
Well, it's still crashing. Gonna send my PSU back this weekend.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 10:06:42 am »
Well, I cannot add this message to my previous post, so I have to add yet another post to this topic.

When I (massively) undervolt my GPU (-0.963 V) it doesn't crash anymore. I tried undervolting it because when I kept an eye on all the GPU's stats during a crash, I noticed that the power usage and the GPU voltage would jump up and down right before it crashed.

Since pictures can undoubtedly explain this better than me, take a look here:

Battlefield 4 crash:

Assassins Creed crash:

This led me to believe it might be a problem with my PSU, so I'll be returning that this weekend.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:08:41 am by pim16aap2 »

Gaski

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 12:38:16 pm »
I'm having this exact same fault. Crashing in games like bf4, grid autosport, ghost recon, watchdogs and splinter cell.

Trod to rma with the retailer, overclockers uk, but they refused it because they can't replicate it in their "tests".

Anyway, I've raised a support ticket to gigabyte so hopefully they'll respond.

Gotta say tho, this whole experience has left a very sour taste and I won't be rushing out to buy another gigabyte product again.

Gtx 780ti GHz edition.
4770k @ 3.5
Asus Z87 pro
Win 8
Gskill trident x - 2x8gb 2400