My system specs are.
Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 Intel Z97 motherboard
Intel Core i5-4690K
Corsair Hydro H100i cooler
Crucial MX100 256GB
Team Group Vulcan ORANGE 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
HIS HD 7950 IceQ BOOST 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair RM850 PSU

Since building this PC I've had problems with the system boot looping when starting from a cold boot only. The system will not post when this happens, only the fans will spin up and after 10secs it will turn off then start the cycle again.
I have found this only happens when the graphics card is in the top pci-e x16 slot and pci-e gen 3 is enabled in the bois settings.

If the graphics card is removed from the system and the on-board graphics are used the system will boot up fine. The system will also boot ok if the graphics card is in the bottom pci-e 8x slot. Also the system will boot ok with the graphics card in the top pci-e slot if pci-e gen 2 is set in the bios.

Anyone have any idea whats happening, does it sound like I have a faulty motherboard?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Cold boot problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:27:13 pm »
Hi there,

from what you are describing I would think it is a BIOS issue rather than a faulty motherboard.

What BIOS version are you running?
Have you tried the F7b beta BIOS available over at TweakTown here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html ?
What happens if you leave the PCI-e slot setting on auto rather than setting it as Gen 3?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »
hi, thanks for the reply. I agree it does sound like a bios issue.
I've already tried the new F7b bios which didn't make any difference unfortunately.
If I leave the pci-e slot setting on auto the motherboard automatically must set it to gen 3 and I have the same boot loop problem.
Funnily enough I can boot ok from a cold boot if the pci-e is set to gen 2, I can then restart go into the bios and set it to gen 3 or auto, the system will then boot with no problems.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:49:50 pm »
I am here now 5 years later in trouble with my Z97X-Gaming 5, cold boot problems and performance problems on the Gen 3 or Auto setting started after updating from F5 to F7.

I've tried F6, F7 and F8b bioses, all act the same.

This is some terrible BIOS management from Gigabyte, there is nothing I can do because you can't go below F6 bios after updating to it.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 04:10:46 pm »
I am here now 5 years later in trouble with my Z97X-Gaming 5, cold boot problems and performance problems on the Gen 3 or Auto setting started after updating from F5 to F7.

I've tried F6, F7 and F8b bioses, all act the same.

This is some terrible BIOS management from Gigabyte, there is nothing I can do because you can't go below F6 bios after updating to it.

Greetings,
First, welcome!

What would be helpful.  Please start you own thread.  it should include your full system specs, all peripherals and OS.

If you have any other devices or peripherals connected, please list those out as well. 

We'll need a full description of the problem.  What is happening exactly?  "Cold Boot Issue - Performance Problems" =  something to you, and means something completely different to others.  ??????

Troubleshooting steps (what you've tried) or done.  I see you've flashed your BIOS a bunch of times, but what else?

Let's not resurrect a 5 yr old thread.  Your issue deserves it's own visibility.

Thanks     
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW