Official GIGABYTE Forum

Poll

Would you like to remap FN key to standard Win key?

Yes
2 (100%)
No
0 (0%)
I don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Remap GK-K7100 "FN" key to (natural) "Left Windows" key

serhio

Remap GK-K7100 "FN" key to (natural) "Left Windows" key
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:28:23 pm »
Hi

I bought the GK-K7100 and I am very happy because this is a pretty cool keyboard.
However, I didn't pay attention at first time that the standard Left Windows key was replaced by a "FN" key. That FN key I don't use.
But I use very often the
- Win+R combination to run the command line
- Win+D combination to show the desktop
- Win+L combination to lock the station and so one...
I am unhappy, because I can't use my usual keys, because this Fn key does not act like the Win key...

As I understood,  the Fn key generally operates on a lower level than the OS and hence modifying its behaviour Generally this depends on the manufacturer.
Some manufacturers who are not jerks generally provide an option (typically in BIOS) which will allow swapping fn-ctrl keys. I have also heard of people taking the extreme option of physically modifying their keyboards (opening them up and rerouting the circuits in the wafer) to swap the fn-ctrl keys.

So, what about GIGABYTE. Is there a option to map this FN key to the Win key, at the BIOS or other level?

Thanks a lot for your constructive answer, because I'd really like to regain my Left WIN key.

imv

Re: Remap GK-K7100 "FN" key to (natural) "Left Windows" key
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »
Second this!
I use a tiled window manager, which makes a heavy use of Win key. The keystrokes are much less ergonomic when the key is on the right side. There seems to be no way to remap the Fn key. This is a deal breaker; I'm going to have to return the keyboard, even though it's otherwise perfect.